Conditions around Canby, Montevideo?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Anybody been around those areas since the storm? I was wondering how thick the snow is and how tough the walking has been? Getting old sucks….

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well I was nearby in Fulda this weekend, about an hour south.
    Promiscuous pheasant hunting was the talk as they are going to have a tough winter.

Pheasants were feeding in the fields late morning making hunting difficult.

Anticipate anything that could’ve made a drift… made a big drift. Here’s me and my daughter on 30′ of snow )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9413.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Here’s me and my daughter on 30′ of snow )

LOL holy hannah that looks more like a sledding hill than a snow drift.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I was out yesterday, not quite that far west but in the general area.
    Took me about 30 seconds to realize my season was over.

Snow was deep in general, drifts were deep, and the cattails and brush were 100% covered with snow.

Half of the walking on land was on top of crusted snow, but if you broke through it was over your waist.

I busted my way through 30 yards of cattails over my head to make it out onto a lake so I could at least get my dogs out. Pretty much impenetrable even from the lake side.
    Flushed 2 hens and called it a day after about an hour.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info guys. We were going to do our traditional two day end of the year hunt, but it looks like we’re gonna make it one day and lower our expectations considerably. It was a heck of a year but it might end with a whimper.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Was going to go out yesterday about an hour east of Monti, but between the cold the kids gave me for Christmas, my back killing me from sleeping in odd beds for a few days, and the deep snow, I chickened out. I did see a half dozen or more roosters out in harvested corn fields and on RR tracks. Kind of bummed because I had a shitty season, but such is life.

My SIL lives just outside Monti and said the drifts are pretty incredible.

Brittman

It is still pretty rough out there in western MN along highway 12.

Fields are sealed shut … not many unharvested fields out there this winter. In fact the really dry fall also allowed most every harvested corn field to be turned over / tilled too.

Many sloughs are snowed over pretty good (bad). Willows and canary grass seem to be the bird’s best options.

While it has not been super cold for extended periods of time … need a longer warm spell (now that the sun is higher in the sky) to clear out some of the fields.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.