Concrete slab – How much is to big for a novice DIY

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’d like to put a slab in my dog kennel approx 10×20, maybe more (another 10×10 or 20) if I decide to go L shape. Prep – excavation, base and compaction isn’t an issue, I have access to whatever equipment I need there. It’s the mixing (probably have to rent mixing and other concrete equipment) spreading, floating I’m not sure of. Let’s assume I’m by myself. This is just a slab for the kennel so 2-2 1/2 inches is probably good with mesh?

I just don’t have a concept of how much I can mix, poor and screed in one shot and be able to move on to the next.

If this goes well I might consider doing my sidewalk as well but the finished product there will be more refined.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would highly suggest to not pour anything exterior only 2 1/2″ thick, 4″ minimum. The freeze cycle would make the slab fall apart. Concrete has great compression strength but pour tensile strength. Considering your slab at the minimum at 10’x 20′ would be 2.5 cubic yards of concrete. That means you would need to have about 10,000 lbs of material to make that much concrete. If you have a redi-mix plant I would highly suggest you get the concrete in a truck. Even a slab that small would be a challenge unless you have concrete experience. A paver style floor might be a better option for a diy project.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Looks like a 10×20 at 2.5” thick is going to take (93) 60lb bags of mix. Honestly don’t think one person can pull it off if you are mixing it yourself.

Most mixers you will rent can handle 2-4 60lb bags at a time, I have one that can handle 4 bags at a time. You are welcome to use it if you want.

This is probably more realistic with 2-3 guys, someone to be constantly mixing while the other guy(s) are working the concrete.

Edit to add: I second the 4” minimum thought and I would also have it delivered so I didn’t need to mix it.

saugeye-steve

I second that 4″ in. would be recommended.
    You should be able to get pre-mix in a U-cart and do it in multiple stages.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Don’t mix it yourself and try to keep up. As mentioned above, your setting yourself up for failure. Most yards have a 3 or 4 yrd minimum order…possibly 5 in some cases. Even if you pay the additional cost for the minimum order, it’s worth it to have it mixed for you with that much.

Figure you need two guys to pour/spread it out and to strike it down. I do a lot of misc slabs with home building and two guys makes a huge difference

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Roger that on the 4” thickness. Truck sounds like a good way to go. I can still get it in the backyard with a skid loader or buggy.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

PM Bearcat

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

4 inch minimum, that would be a impossible one to do on your own. You would loose the concrete before you even knew it and then it would double the work and you would kick your self in the ass. I am always available to do it from start to finish or just lend a hand.
    Pm me with any and all questions.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Roger that on the 4” thickness. Truck sounds like a good way to go. I can still get it in the backyard with a skid loader or buggy.

If you go the truck route have them color it for you. A nice fire truck Red would stand out. grin

Jordan VanHeel

I can also lend a hand if needed just let me know.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve done a handful of small slabs and stairs. 6×6 is about as big as I’d like to do by myself especially when using bags. I poured a dozen 48″ deck footings last summer using bags and that was WAY more work than I’d ever want to do again.

Adam Steffes

10x20x4” without the batch truck pouring it right where you want it would be impossible single handedly. The last one I poured we had 4 guys sweating up a storm with a power wheelbarrow. It was about 12×20 with an 8” thick edge. My recommendation would be to get at least 4 people to help with a job that big if you don’t do this stuff for a living.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

and be ready with forms for making pavers!
    there is always extra on the truck…
    so nice to be able to have a plan for the extra!

FYI If you are getting a short load in a truck time is of the essence. If you are taking longer to unload the truck they will usually charge you for extra unloading time, meaning that if you have extra concrete and want them to dump it in a pile there will not be any extra charge but if you are pouring little area’s just remember they will not be free. Also any other things you have to finish will just add to your frustration. My suggestion is to make sure you do not order short the next truck will cost more then the 1/4 yard extra you should of ordered, and I would focus on your kennel and nothing else to make sure you have time to get that finished in a timely manner. If you can find someone who does this for a living and is willing to help it will relieve a lot of stress. Trust me everyone know’s how to pour concrete until the truck show’s up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Today.

Attachments:
    1. 20210301_075332.jpg

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I would agree with supercat that pavers would be a much more installer friendly DIY project. One person can do it at their own pace. No concrete setting up faster than you can handle and there is a large selection of colors and patterns you can use.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t over complicate it, not a very big or tough job. 2 of the right guys plus yourself it would be knocked out in a afternoon. Forming and prepping will take longer then the pour and finish

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.