Need some opinions

• mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

My wife and I are going to Big Mac for our anniversary (she’s great isn’t she). We will focus on walleye, white bass, and wipers. I have most of the trolling toys so we will likely troll, troll, troll. I realize it could be tough but I love exploring new water. We are going to try to get on the lake Thursday evening and then will be there through Saturday. I haven’t been there since a kid and never on a boat. I am not looking for secrets just general info and where to put in, any hazards to be aware of, general locations etc.. I have a navionics chip so I will not be completely blind. We are not camping but may break from fishing for a little beach time, so any areas I could beach a boat would be of interest also. I was thinking otter creek to put in but any suggestions would be appreciated.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

You’re going to take her for a Big Mac? Hope you have a comfy couch, cornhusker.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I would go to Mac over getting a big mac ANY day. Of course, I boycott mcdonald’s, too….

You should be able to use a wide variety of ramps since the water is back up. Spillway Bay on the SE corner and Martin bay on the NE sides are very popular, so you’ll see a crowd there I’m sure. Diver’s bay should be good, Lemoyne should be useable somehow, and then you’ve got Vann’s on the south side too. You’ll find a way to get on the lake, no problem.
    As for the fishing, I know it’s tough out there, but some guys are really figuring it out. Heard of an 11 and an 8 1/2 coming out of there a couple days ago. Don’t know what he was doing for it though. There’s always smallies up on the rocks though too, always keeps me entertained.
    Good luck and keep us updated on the trip. Oh, and find ME a chic like that, will ya?

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Quote:

keep us updated on the trip. Oh, and find ME a chic like that, will ya?

Thanks Brian, I can keep ya updated but I am not sure about finding you a chic. I will probably just work the shallow trees/bushes etc.. and see if I can stumble into something.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Thanks Brian, I can keep ya updated but I am not sure about finding you a chic.

Well dammit, if you run into her, you know how to find me.

Have a good trip, hope you do get something found.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I can’t help you as far as to how to catch any fish. But as far as beach spots almost the entire north side of the lake will work. If you are going to be trolling you will be able to find unlimited places. Good Luck and have fun.

And by the way taking your wife to big mac for your anniversary is a great idea. I actually got engaged there.

pullinbait
    NEBRASKA

I went by the lake today on my way to Scottsbluff. It looked like all of the boats were in a ball off of Sandy Point. The water is freakin rollin in.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

How did the Big Mac trip turn out? I am heading out there later this week. Any pointers?

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Quote:

How did the Big Mac trip turn out? I am heading out there later this week. Any pointers?

Not great but I have no doubt a guy could do okay. Bring plenty of tackle. More to come….

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Well it was a fun trip, but we didn’t exactly tear it up in the fish department.

We arrived Thursday evening about 6pm. Launched the boat at otter creek only to realize the boat didn’t have any gas. I swear it had a half tank when I trailered it last, but it didn’t. Either got siphoned while parked in North Platte or I am loosing it, both are a possibility. Well anyway had to re-trailer get gas and then only got on the water for a couple hours and didn’t catch a thing.

Friday morning we didn’t get out quite as early as planned (theme of the trip) but were on the water by 8 or so. The lake was like glass all day. This makes for a beautiful day but in my experience doesn’t do much for fishing. The boats were loaded up on Sand point but I hate crowds and decided to try to find something on my own. We started slowly drifting shallow in the trees in 6-12 foot of water with slip bobbers. Picked up a few smaller channels and that was it. So went out to the edge of the trees (or at least most of the trees) and trolled. Picked up an 18 inch walleye immediately on a flicker shad and thought it was on. But that was it besides an occasional white bass and lots and lots of snags. I did finally make it over to sand point and tried pulling rigs with the electric to no avail. I think they were picking up a few eyes there but it wasn’t on fire the group of boats was constantly rotating.

We took the middle part of the day off for some beach time. I tried pitching some rocks and trees shallow in middle of the afternoon with nothing to show for it and we winded up the day pulling spinners on the edge of trees (sick of losing cranks) and only managed more white bass. I did get a simultaneous double (I mean exact same time) hook up on 2 nice whites while hand holding rigs. I had to wake my wife up (who was napping) to help reel one in. That was the most excitement the day produced. I did manage to venture way west and talk about a flooded forest, it felt like I was kid on a boat during a flood of the missouri river (more or less the same thing).

Saturday we got an even later start. The wind picked up but was straight east. I probably didn’t try nearly as hard on Saturday. Trolled and lost more cranks, lost almost a full color off a lead core rod. Did manage more whites and one perch (on a #7 flicker). Ended the night at the dam with nothing to show for it. Drove back Saturday night in heavy rain and small hail. All on all a worth while trip, can’t wait to make it back in a few years when we can reap the benefit of all that cover.

I imagine there are plenty of nice fish to be caught if a guy could figure them out. I am sure they are relating to the cover, but there is probably thousands of acres of trees and that was to much for me to figure out in 2 days. Some guy told them they got to be in the trees, I asked which ones. He didn’t have an answer.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Good report, Matt. Thanks!

I bet it’s looking like the freakin Amazon up there right now. Don’t know when or if I’ll make it out there this year. Heck, I still haven’t even taken the time to look at Elwood yet (haven’t seen it since Nov)!
    Glad you got out and had fun. Nothin wrong with that.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks for the report. I’m planning on heading up there later today to donate some lures to the trees.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.