Wiped out at Mac

• sharkbait
    Participant
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Thursday night is one of those you dream about at Mac.Had to work til almost 7.Got home changed grabbed the waders and on the water about 745.By 8 fish were everywhere.At one point I hooked 5 wipers in 5 casts.Big bucktials are the ticket right now.The wipers are feeding on alewives that look like they are close to 5″ long.I would have to guess I caught and released close to 20 fish in an hour and fifteen minutes.All were wipers from around 5LBS to around 9Lbs.Sorry no pics I was in a hurry to get on the water and didn’t take a camera.Still fishing wind blown shorelines in waders.They came in so hard last night that I lost 4 jigs while fighting fish and it felt like another fish bumped the line and roughed it enough to cut it loose.Usually I only change line a couple times all summer but that one is getting changed again before it hits the water again.Love the drag on the new pflueger for the wipers.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

I can’t wait to get out there tonight Thanks for the report sharkbait

love2fish
    Participant
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Excuse my ignorance but I can’t keep up with you Nebraska guys. What is a wiper?

John

jason-cyboron
    Participant
    Lincoln, NE

I wiper is a hybrid cross between a white bass and a striped bass. They are a lot of fun when you get hooked up with one. Here’s my most recent wiper caught on Milford Lake in Kansas.

papajon
    Participant
    Grand Island Ne

Wiper by far the hardest fighting fresh water fish I have ever caught

sharkbait
    Participant

All hail the WIPER.I still haven’t figured out why so many people talk crap about them.They are awesome fighters.Better than alot of saltwater fish for there size and when the frenzy is on it is amazing.Only fish that can destroy so much gear in so little time.But you can always keep catching eyes and have all the glamour of bass,I’d rather have wipers any day.

sharkbait
    Participant

That pic is about what most of the fish on Mac are running right now also.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Here is a wiper from last weekend at Mac. ALL HALE THE WIPER The most fun fish to catch out of fresh water that I have found They can get better than 20lbs and will put one of BK’s 60lbers to shame

trevor nation
    Participant
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Do they all look like that up there? lol looks a little out of proportion……..or ate a gull

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

That’s how all the ones that I caught out there looked this year. Does look like a gull though, doesn’t it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.