Smallies and whites

• sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

I’ve spent the last couple evenings fishing from shore with excellent luck on smallmouth around the mud patches along drop offs.I think they are feeding on crawdads around the mud but they are also hitting shad.I’ve been using swim baits and have caught 8-10 in about an hour in the evening.Some have been pretty good size.Had a couple go close to 17″ but most are 11-15″.Still lots of fun.Also catching a few white bass but they have been running alot better off shore farther.Tuesday night they were blasting shad hard several hundred yards from shore.With the calm winds that night you couyld see the spray blowing 2-3′ up in the air when big wipers and whites came up under the shad.Don’t know how long it will last showers are coming in from the south and it sounds like cool weather the next couple days.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Sounds like a great time.
    Thanks for telling us about your trips.
    Ron

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Sharkbait- Thanks for the report!! That’s neat when you can see the water boiling from the shad, whites, and wipers. I’ve been on Branched Oak when nearly 1/4 of the lake is boiling.
    We’re getting the rain and cooler temps out here too. Fishing has been up and down, hopefully we’ll get some stable weather for a week once the water temps hit 55.

NIAngler

Hi
    I know this is a little backwards but Am new to the list and was wondering if anyone out there new of anyplace a person could rent a boat and motor around Lake Peppin/Lake City area for the weekend of the 24-25. My boy and myself will finally be able to go fishing together. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time but well you know how kids are. If Anyone on the list could give me a name or two it would be appreciated greatly. You may also call me at 800-432-5964. Thanks in advance

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Give the guys at Smittys Marine a shout. They have the boat dealership in Lake City and can point you in the right direction if you’re looking for a rental boat. >>> http://www.smittys-marine.com/

If you’re further north at the head of Lake Pepin, give Dean at Everts Resort a holler. http://www.evertsfishingresort.com

Everts has some real nice 16′ rental boats with brand new 40 Etec’s.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

sharkbait – What’s the largest smallie you’ve seen come out of Mac? Just wondering what kind of size a guy can expect out there?

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

I just moved here this spring but looking around there are alot of 18″ smallies hanging on the walls of baitshops and alot of stories of that size fish.With the low water the places to fish smallies are hard to find.Everybody has been telling me when the water was up there were lots of good smallies but they haven’t been catching that many the last few years with the low water.Sounds like an excuse to not figure things out to me.I have never been a smallie fisherman lived where there were not a bunch of them around but figured with the dropping temps it was time to try for them.Maybe by spring or later this fall I can tell you just how big they get.I sure won’t complain if I just keep catching schoolies that are 12-17″ fish they are a good time for no bigger than they are.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Good stuff! I took the girlfriend there a couple years back and went primarily for smallies for a few hours when we weren’t chasin the marble eyes. And you’re right…you can see that there just aren’t the places to smallie fish like there is when the water is up, or ‘normal’. But I’ve heard lots of people tell me that they do well right on the face of the dam, the whole length of the dam. I can’t wait to try that again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.