Competitor 185 Tiller accessory inquiries.

I’ve got a 2022 competitor 185 tiller on order. It is supposed to be here April-May.

I haven’t heard anything from the dealer(up here in Canada) about delivery so I’m not getting TOO EXCITED, yet. I’m trying to piece together my accessories and one area that I’m at that seems to be a debate is the trolling motor shaft length. I’ve heard that 60” is adequate but I’ll appreciate the 72”.

I understand that in bigger waves, the 72” will stay in the water better(common sense). The issue is, 72s are hard to come by in a 112# model.

Thoughts?

Also, what are some other accessories that you have now and wished you had earlier?

Accessories that you couldn’t live without?

Dan Baker

I have the 60″ shaft on my 80# terrova. Mine is a 185 competitor FSX so full windshield, but I beleive the hulls are the same. I have had a few times where the extra length would have been nice, but I think the motor in the stowed position would be more of a nuisance at 72″. Also, i have have to raise my motor a lot for the type of fishing I do (bass).
    BTW, you’re going to fly with a 112#. I get 2.7-3.0mph no problem with the 80#.

scottaheller

I think have a 72″ would be better in a tiller especially if you fish out of the back of the boat a lot and no one in the front to hold the nose of the boat down. I have a 60″ on my edge 175 and when I fish solo out of the back the trolling motor is popping out of the water in small waves.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a 2020 1875 ProGuide (tiller). I was going to go with a 36-volt 60″ Ulterra but learned that the one motor takes up 5 inches of shaft length. I went with the 36-volt 72″ Ulterra and have not looked back. I fish by myself most of the time and the 60″ would have come out of the water a lot. If you are getting an Ulterra get the 72″. It also depends how big of waves you fish in. If you fish in bigger waves then the 72″.

abster71
    crawford county WI

kicker motor , bullseye boat guides, also added rock lights under gunnels

I’m going with a terrova, maybe(?) the 60 will suffice? I dunno. Right now, I can’t seem to find a terrova with a 72” and 112#.

I have the 60″ shaft on my 80# terrova. Mine is a 185 competitor FSX so full windshield, but I beleive the hulls are the same. I have had a few times where the extra length would have been nice, but I think the motor in the stowed position would be more of a nuisance at 72″. Also, i have have to raise my motor a lot for the type of fishing I do (bass).
    BTW, you’re going to fly with a 112#. I get 2.7-3.0mph no problem with the 80#.

I wondered about the length in the stowed position too! It’s moderately frustrating! I do multispecies. With the tiller, I could always backtroll if the waves are too much.

I guess I could try it for a year and see what happens.

Stanley

@Dan Baker, how do you like the fsx? I also have a fsx 185 but got it too late in the year to get it out so I am really hoping for an early spring. I also got a 80# terrova on mine and hope the improved spot lock is better than my older terrova I had.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a LiveScope ice bundle. I had the riggers add a power wire from the fuse panel that will reach anywhere in the boat so if the battery dies I’ll have power.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.