Columbus, MN Area – ice or anything to see?

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’m spending roughly 10 days beginning this weekend in the Columbus, MN area for a poker tournament…. anything in the area to see or do for a mid-week break? Thought about bringing some simple ice fishing stuff but assume I may be too early?

Booking a room this eve – Any areas not to avoid? I’m in SE WI below Milwaukee… hence the question, here it matters.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That whole area is good. Enjoy your time in town.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you are playing at Running Aces, stay at the hotel there. Nice place (The place is new) and they treat players well. I’d mention you will be playing there and ask for a player discount. (Card player room rate)

I’ll let someone else comment on the ice or lack of it.

Good Luck, might see you there?

-J.

Chuck Melcher

Good to hear the area is nice….

Looked into the hotel, being on my own I’ll be stuck at a lower cost room somewhere else – save some funds for poker. Thank you though, it did look nice.

If you are playing at Running Aces, stay at the hotel there. Nice place (The place is new) and they treat players well. I’d mention you will be playing there and ask for a player discount. (Card player room rate)

I’ll let someone else comment on the ice or lack of it.

Good Luck, might see you there?

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You will be close to Forest Lake and there is some shops and good eats in the area. Kind of a old school town, there is a really good sandwich shop Stewie’s check that out if you have time. Like the guys said good area. Good luck in the tourney.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Your right off 35, MOA is a straight shot south if you have never been there.

B-man

I’m 11 miles away from Columbus but haven’t personally checked the ice locally yet (been hunting), but it can’t be great.

Now we have 4″+ inches of snow and counting from today that isn’t going to help at all.

If you get bored go check out the new Scheels in Eden Prairie, or come over and clean my garage mrgreen

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seeing how the lakes 50 minutes north are not shore locked yet… I would focus on the felt. chased Good luck smash

huntinforfish

Mallards in Forest Lake (Closest town) is a good spot for a bite. Great bloody Mary.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I grew up in and around forest lake. Nothing very exciting to do. Not much for any walkable ice, especially after the snow today. But forest lake does offer some decent food.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If you’re here starting this weekend and for 10 days there could certainly be some walkable ice by then. I’d bring a couple rods in case. There’s also a couple RV dealers very close by if you want to browse. If you like thin crust pizza there’s a couple good pizza places just to the south of town, Wiseguys in Centerville and Reds Savoy in Hugo.

Chuck Melcher

Thanks all
    Anyone familiar with these two places? The Super 8 has a pretty good rating, if you trust those things.

AmericInn by Wyndham Forest Lake
    Super 8 by Wyndham Chisago City

ThunderLund78

I can’t say I’ve stayed at any of these specific hotels and a lot depends on Management. But I’ve stayed a LOT of budget hotels with two kids in traveling hockey. AmericInn, in general, is a nicer hotel than Super 8. Their free breakfasts are usually solid.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Agree with Thunder on management. However, in this case I have had some first hand reports that the AmericInn in Forest Lake is not great. If you don’t mind the extra drive, and trying to save a few bucks over Running Aces, I’d take the Super 8 in Chisago.

Chuck Melcher

You guys are right…. And thank you. I’m use to decent budget…. The reviews on AmericaInn Forest are gloomy compared to the Super 8. Booked there for the trip. Running Aces would be great but double the cost even w discount.

Area looks great – wish it was summer, kayak would be with for sure!!!! So many lakes, must be nice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You guys are right…. And thank you. I’m use to decent budget…. The reviews on AmericaInn Forest are gloomy compared to the Super 8. Booked there for the trip. Running Aces would be great but double the cost even w discount.

Area looks great – wish it was summer, kayak would be with for sure!!!! So many lakes, must be nice.

If your staying in Chisago then, you’ll be close to the channel and that will have fishable ice. Same with a few other areas within 20 minutes. Any questions and that’s my stomping grounds, just shoot me a message

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.