College Hockey post season

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

BU, MN, and MI all play a similar style. They are all heavy on draft picks and can score a lot of goals. Offense is their game.

Quinni is built differently. They have very few draft picks. Their roster is built with older, more experienced players (similar to Mankato in recent years), and they play a lock-down type game defensively. Their goalie’s stats are pretty ridiculous, but its also a by-product of their style of play and generally weaker competition they play through out the season.

I could see any one of these teams coming out on top. They are all ranked in the top 5 in the country and the margin between them is slim.

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

That St Paul F4 was something gimruis. Tickets were reasonable to get and no alcohol.
    On the semis there are seperate, or were seperate tixs, for each game. People who were fans of the team playing in the 2nd game would be outside the arena with cash to buy the 2nd game and finals from fans of the losers.
    Hell, I was at the Ralph when the Holy Cross debacle happened. I saw people I knew from Pride on Ice / Gopher Puck Live that gave me tickets for the next nite Sue vs HC game. 2 new St Croix high end sticks.
    Then made a real killing on our F4 tixs. You gotta love the fans of “The Green Team that USED to have a Bad Name” if you are scalping tickets.They pay serious coin to go, be drunk & obnoxious, and swear.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

You gotta love the fans of “The Green Team that USED to have a Bad Name” if you are scalping tickets.They pay serious coin to go, be drunk & obnoxious, and swear.

Lol ya they do. Bigger and louder fanbase than any other team out there, and its not even close. Half of Grand Forks is usually in attendance when they play.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

By and large the Sue fans are the trashiest of all from the old WCHA. Didnt they kill a guy (Gopher fan) after a game there several years ago?

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I don’t know if that has changed, but in between semi-final games, everyone got their hand stamped and walked to a neighboring bar for a beverage because you couldn’t get one in the freaking building.

When I was a student at the U of MN I would get playoff tickets for my buddies. In between periods we would get a re-enter ticket, go across the street to Station 19, have a beer and be back in our seats for the next period’s puck drop. Many people did that.

Brittman
    Participant

The old Badger arena (late 80s or so) was even better … for beer.

Some 30+ years ago we road-tripped to Milwaukee, but stopped in Madison to go to the Gopher-Badger game. We tried to get visitor tickets from the U (but they said nope none available).

We went to the arena and unlike Mariucci … no scalpers. If was absolutely fricken cold and we went into the arena lobby to warm up and decide if we wanted to go to State Street (bars) or head on to Milwaukee.

U lied. flame The ticket window pops up a sign – visitor comp tickets availabe now. We bought two tickets and found our seats. A few UofM parents (I sat next to Paul Broten’s dad) and girlfriends, but most of the comp tickets went Red flame

OK – where am I going with this …

Brittman
    Participant

End of period one and there is a mad rush out of the stadium. We wonder down to the concessions to get some food and find it strange – where is everyone.

End of period two – we get up and follow the red wave … down another flight of stairs below the ice sheet. Huge beer garden with a ring of kegs and taps. People down beers … then some says one minute to start of period 3 … taps shutoff and everyone rushes back to their seats.

Seemed like a dream.

Brittman
    Participant

Marucci now has alcohol for $10 – $12 a can or so.

Line for men’s bathroom is insanely long because of all the beer sales … men;s bathrooms with their troughs had little in the way of lines before beer sales started.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Gophers better start cashing in.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

BU can’t keep the pace at all. Gophs about to open the floodgates.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That between the legs pass was filthy

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

That Cooley, Snugg, Knies line looks like NHL’ers going against high schoolers.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Garbage interference call there.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Should be 5 or 6 to 1 already.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

That goalie interference call was all about Knies stick inside the goalies glove pinning it to the ice, the TV guys did a terrible job noticing and explaining that…

Gophers are flying and yes, they should be up 3-4 goals already..

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Boston is getting every possible break. Only reason this game is not a blowout.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

The amount of goals that should’ve been in this game is unreal.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

BU just parades to the penalty box. They are playing with fire.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

That goalie interference call was all about Knies stick inside the goalies glove pinning it to the ice, the TV guys did a terrible job noticing and explaining that…

Gophers are flying and yes, they should be up 3-4 goals already..

I agree that’s why it was but had little to do with the goal. He was also shoved in by a BU defender after driving to the net. The goalie closed his glove in his stick.
    Tough call IMO.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Now they’re going in!

Fishing59
    Participant

Can they possibly find some broadcasters that just call the game and not so one sided?

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

My source says 14:03 remaining.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Can they possibly find some broadcasters that just call the game and not so one sided?

Lol nope Bucci and Melrose have sucked ass at this for 15 years and they’ll be doing it again next year.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Bucci is great at college hockey. Yea he is an east coast guy.
    Melrose can’t keep up and get a sentence out anymore.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Just be happy the Big 10 doesn’t have the game. It would be on air at 6am on a Tuesday.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Just be happy the Big 10 doesn’t have the game. It would be on air at 6am on a Tuesday.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Bucci is great at college hockey. Yea he is an east coast guy.
    Melrose can’t keep up and get a sentence out anymore.

I’m not sure he knows he’s even calling a hockey game. Sad really.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Ok now it’s over

Ripjiggen
    Participant

My source says 14:03 remaining.

Game was over when they went up two. BU was fortunate to keep it close through two. Not close to same level as Gophs.

I would be surprised if this wasn’t a big ten chip.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.