Cold Fingers

• John Hudgens

Due to a nerve disease my finger tips turn to ice instantly and freeze to the bone. Can anyone recommend a glove that will help me enjoy ice fishing. This is so bad that I cant even fish. Thanks

Daniel Turner

Clam mittens with a disppsible warmer. And dress warmer overall. You may not feel cold, but your body will shunt the blood from your fingers first when ur body temp drops a miniscule amount.

cheers

x2 n the warmers and warm clothing , I bought rechargeable warmers from Menards and they work best but don’t last all day, I use both at the same time . I also take a low dose aspirin daily and after a few months I noticed a big improvement

jarrod holbrook

Take a shake up hand warmer and a rubber band. Secure it to the underside of your wrist over all the blood vessels. Cold hands are due to circulation. It works amazing for me. Now bear in mind that sub zero crazy cold will get you, but I can get down to 15 degrees like this. I keep the big mittens with more shake ups for the touch ups in between. My favorite gloves are the Barbour fingerless wool ones. Combined with the system above of course.

dld24

Get Frabil gloves, Clam gloves are crap imo… I use frabil task gloves and the Frabil snosuit mittens when its really cold.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

My son used these when he was going through chemo. It caused neuropathy in his hands. .http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/HeatedWear/Heated_Gloves_Calgary_Toronto_Vancouver_Canada You may have to cut and past this. I can’t seem to post a link. OOPS! I guess it comes up as a link. You may have to wear some type of waterproof gloves over them. They, being an electric item, may not work well where water is involved. I know he ice fished using them and had no problems keeping his hands warm. At one point he couldn’t even take the milk jug out of the refrigerator.

Crappy Fisherman

Sounds like Raynaurds Syndrome. I got it after I went through Chemotherapy 8 years ago. It shuts down the blood flow to the fingers during cold weather. Warm packs on the wrist help, so do mittens. Gloves are the worst. Once your hands get real cold your pretty much done. My fingers would look like frost bite and the pain was almost unbearable. Mine started getting better 2 years ago. The one thing I know for sure is it really sucks for ice fishing, Good luck.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m the same way. I’d say mid-October through March my hands and feet are always cold. I’ve had Ice Armor gloves for a few years and they’re the best I’ve ever had. I can’t remember what they’re called but they’re heavy-duty and cost around $50.

Still though, my hands get cold and for that I use hand warmers. That’s been the key for me. Another option is to keep your blood circulating but that’s hard to do ice fishing. If you’re drilling holes and moving around you’re staying warm, but sitting and waiting chills the digits in a hurry.

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

I ran in long distance sled dog races for years and dealt with a lot of cold. Here is something that helps. Stay hydrated and avoid caffine. If you have someone that can sew have them make you a pair of these. They are made of fleece and have a pocket for a hand warmer on the wrist. Wearing these along with a glove liner under a pair of glove or mitts will help.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN1260.jpg

Tinker
    Iron Range

B Boyd
    That is great a great tip. Thanks for sharing.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I too have real bad circulation in my hands.
    I have a pair of wrist sweat bands (like runners and tennis players use) and put disposable hand warmers right on the wrist…
    Then I put a pair of rag-wool gloves ( the ones with just the finger tips exposed) on…..
    Then a pair of HT’s Ice mitts mittens…They eaisily slide off and on…
    Works well for me…..

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I too have poor hand and feet circulation, if I don’t take the proper steps it can destroy a day on the ice.

I bring multiple types of gloves with me. If a pair gets wet, they are shot. I have a nice pair of snowmobile gloves that I wear as I get onto the ice and anytime I’m moving spots. Another pair in case those get wet. Then a lighter pair I can wear while fishing, depending on how my circulation is for the day.

Lastly, I’ve started wearing one of those hand warmer sleeves that buckles around your waist. Anytime I take my glove off and my hand gets wet, I slip my hand into there to dry off and warm up before putting my glove back on. I feel like this has actually helped me a lot.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

John check these out my wife just got them for me for the up coming ice season and for me to try out when at Lake Erie this coming week. They’re not real thick so they can also be used as liners. I think they’ll be sweet.

Attachments:
    1. 20161127_140617.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.