Cmap Genesis, Genesis Live mapping.

• rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Just wondering if anyone has tried or been using community genesis maps or used genesis live mapping. Just looking for some tips and tricks if anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

Waxy
    Participant
    Calgary, AB

If you’re not already using it, you need to get on it ASAP!

The CMAP Genesis website is very good, it’ll walk you through signing up for an account and how to download the maps. Some lakes have amazing coverage, some are kinda spotty, but it’s FREE. You can even customize the depth shading. If you got to the Lowrance YouTube page, they have some very good videos on there explaining the process as well.

The genesis live mapping is as simple as putting a blank microSD card into your unit, going to your charts menu, and selecting genesis live from the Overlay menu. Drive around and you’re mapping, the more ground you cover and the more thoroughly you cover it, the better your map will be. The genesis live mapping doesn’t share between units, so each unit on the network must be on and have the genesis live overlay option turned on in order to create a map.

Waxy

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Will my genesis live mapping be saved on my locator or do I start fresh each time? Do I need to save the mapping files or is it done automatically?

And Thank you for responding.

I have used both on the Mississippi River on Monday. Uploaded 7 1 hour sonar files and made a decent map for myself. Just wondering if that map will be there next time. Is the map stored on the sd chip or in my unit? Sorry about so many questions; I just can’t find these details anywhere on the utube videos or stuff I read online.

Waxy
    Participant
    Calgary, AB

The genesis live mapping is saved onto the SD card in your locator, any time you turn on the overlay, it’ll all be there.

The files you uploaded will be used to create a separate map you that you have to download onto a microSD card and put into your locator. If you didn’t sign up for a paid account, those sonar logs you uploaded will be added to the Social map, and integrated with all of the other sonar data that has been uploaded for that waterbody. You can then download that Social Map to your locator. You’ll also have access to them individually, and I *think* you have the ability to merge them with a free account, but I’m not sure. I know that with the paid account, you can select any or all of the files you’ve uploaded and have them merged into a single map that only you will have.

Hopefully that helps.

Waxy

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Ah yes. I see the genesis live files on my sd card. (Highlighted in attachment) I see what is going on now with this. These are my genesis files from my trip. I am now have used both genesis live to create my own map and the separate free cmap genesis to update the contour map of an area. Cool stuff. Thanks Waxy!

Attachments:
    1. genesis-live.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.