Clutch question (Mustang) for the car guys and/or mechanic types

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’ve been floating the idea of picking up a used Mustang GT. I’m a fan of the ‘05-‘14 S197 body style and how I sit in it. I determined this by test driving a few. I drove an 05 and an 06, both manual transmission which I prefer. It just adds to the driving experience.
    Anyway, these 2 cars were nearly identical, both had a few visible mods such as cold air intake, exhaust so it’s not unreasonable to think there are other mods less visible. The 05 did seem to have more power, especially through the higher band. There was a noticeable difference in the clutches.
    The 06 had what I felt was a normal clutch, consistent tension throughout the stroke of the pedal. The 05 was different, it seemed, for lack of a better term, to have a narrow band through the center part of the stroke of the pedal at which the clutch would engage or release, however you want to label it.
    Is this the sign of a performance clutch of some type or do you think it’s a failing clutch?
    I’ve driven vehicles with known failing clutches before and they definitely felt wrong, very weak in the pedal stroke where the clutch was not engaging and the engagement was near or at the end of the pedal stroke, not in the center like this one. However I’m sure this was 30 years ago or so and I’m sure things have changed over the years.
    What do you think?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Easiest way to tell is to floor it in 2nd and see if the clutch slips. Not sure you will notice the springs getting weak with a hydraulic clutch. The clutch should last long time behind the 4.6, not a powerhouse by any means but it really likes to be supercharged. The wife picked up a 07 GT convertible, nice cruiser but not very quick.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I did hammer it in second and the only thing slipping was the rear tires. This car was noticeably quicker than the other car I drove just like it.

So what would be the reason for the narrow band for that clutch to engage?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hydraulic clutches are adjustable. It’s just adjusted differently….could be a bit low on fluid but that probably would give you a soft pedal with a long throw.

I think you are over thinking it….it’s a used mustang. It’s probably been beaten on pretty well so replacing the clutch will likely need to happen at some point anyways.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It is probably an aftermarket clutch and it just grabs harder. Did the pedal feel heavier? I went to a McLeod twin disc and it has a heavy pedal but grabs really hard which is needed for this application. We burned through the OEM a centerforce and a Monster before we went to the twin. None of the hydraulic clutches I have worked on have any adjustment but I normally work on GM stuff. On hydr. Cluthes as long as it grabs in the middle to the bottom it should be good. I have seen issues on aftermarket clutches where the “Z” dimension is off and the piston needs shimming but it sounds ok to me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.