Cloudburst

• Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Went from sunny to windy and pouring rain, just like that! laugh Anybody who has ever spent time on Rainy knows what I’m talking about.

Glad I’m in the livingroom and not on the water.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Haha oh yeah, most fitting name of any MN lake I’ve been on!

stevenoak
    Participant

Rain the Sunday before last on Rainy was the first time in 15 years. My rainsuit wasn’t enough. Partly due to the wind driving the rain. Had to retreat to the houseboat for an hour. Low horizontal lightning. I’m waterproof. But not lightning proof.

blackbay
    Participant
    mn

One thing people don’t realize on Rainy is that if you’re out and the weather turns sour, you get to drive right through it to get home. All the resorts and accesses are on the western 1/4 of the lake. Not to mention it’s not always easy to see the storms coming from the south west.

I’ve had a few interesting boat rides and beachings because we misjudged the direction and speed of a storm.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

One thing people don’t realize on Rainy is that if you’re out and the weather turns sour, you get to drive right through it to get home. All the resorts and accesses are on the western 1/4 of the lake. Not to mention it’s not always easy to see the storms coming from the south west.

I’ve had a few interesting boat rides and beachings because we misjudged the direction and speed of a storm.

x100, I’ve had a couple Lt. Dan moments out there as well, where you just hold on tight, hopefully find a beach and hope for the best. And that’s both in a little boat and in the houseboat!

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

My 85 year old great uncle has spent most of his life on Namakan, Kabetogama, and Rainy.
    He still maintains the belief that it rains every day in the summer and snows every day in the winter.
    Obviously that’s not exactly accurate but if you’ve spent a lot time up there you definitely understand what he’s getting at.

Very true. We have the same problem when fishing eastern Namakan. By the time you can see the storm it’s too late to get back to the cabin before it hits. There’s been many wet rides over the years, and there will be more!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.