Clear lake 4/14

• Gianni
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Had a work trip to Mason City, so we dragged along the boat and got in some fishing. We were able to put in about two hours each of two nights.

The first night we fished Dodge’s point dragging floater rigs & minnnows in 5-12 feet of water with a gravel bottom while casting jigs up shallow on the point. In theory, it should’ve been the place to be, but nobobdy had told the fish. Water temp in the main lake was 53°.

After leaving the first night without a single fish, I was pretty well determined to put something together the second night. We stayed up in Ventura bay and trolled thundersticks, worked the south shoreline casting jigs with no fish. We finally ended up just using a bobber to suspend a jig and minnow about 6″ off the bottom and drift off the southwest rock point out into deeper water (water goes from 2-5′). This put some fish in the boat. Ended up with one short ‘eye, two yellow bass, and a short musky that swiped the jig as I was pulling it out of the water. First yellow bass and musky I’ve ever caught. Water temp in the bay was 63°.

Two excellent days to be on the water, regardless of what the fish were doing.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.