Clear Lake Walleyes

• GTR

I haven’t been down there in a few years. Was woundering how the population of walleyes are doing and if its worth a trip down there in the early spring.
    Thanks for your help
    Greg

sandmannd

Which Clear Lake are you talking about? The one in Waconia or the one by Forest Lake?

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

If your talking about the Iowa Clear Lake it has been good. Mainly right at dusk working the shallow shore lines

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

If you are talking about Clear lake,Ia it should be decent this year. I have talked to a number of people that went to the hatchery,DNR claim one of best year classes in a number of years. They said netted very large number of 18-22 inch fish for spawn. They also claim musky is at all time with with 11lb average in the 38-39 inch range? I do not know if this will be the case, but with fuel prices this high i will be hitting lake alot this year instead of 3 hour drive to Pepin sadly enough

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I live about 45 mins away and I have lunch there every Wed while passing through on business. I have heard the talk about good catches for this year, BUT I have heard that before. I can only tell you that very FEW walleyes were caught through the ice. Last year in summer, very FEW. In fact one tourney was won with 3 fish. I am hoping like everyone else that the reports hold true. Small fish are being caught right now (OK Wed) at the outlet and inlet but I don’t think the big numbers have moved in yet. I am sure another big muskie or two will be caught again this spring, there are some big girls in there. The past two summers I have not caught many walleye (as compared to previous years) but the white and yellow bass have kept me happy.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

Went to the hatchery two springs back for a school trip when they were draining the females they netted of their eggs and i will never handle/see that many 8lb+ walleyes in my lifetime! some great things there doing there, and yes they had a few large large muskies as well!

owen nelson
    Iowa

They need to put a slot in on that lake all they do is keep 17- 22” fish. I think that the way they have it now is wrong. It could be the strong yellow population too they eat every thing in sight walleye eggs and fry.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.