Cicada Killer or Hummingbird?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Just kidding. Bad pic but I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen, what I think is a cicada killer. Holy Hannah, this thing was literally 2 inches long and buzzed right by my ear while I was watering my garden. Apparently they’re harmless to humans, but I feel bad for the cicadas.

Attachments:
    1. 5061492C-41D5-4179-BD48-4A2693E17D67.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t let them get into your ear!!

ThunderLund78

WOW!
    Had to look it up, but I think you’re right. Thankfully not aggressive toward humans and apparently lacks the nest defending instincts of other bees and wasps. I wouldn’t wanna test that theory, though!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Don’t let them get into your ear!!

Ya, after I stopped screaming my first thought was “how did murder hornets make it to Minnesota”…..

JEREMY
    BP

Cant believe youve never seen one they are all over. Look along the edge of your driveway or sidewalk. Those things that look like ant hills but have about a 1/4 inch hole are where they live. Seen one the other day actually flying carrying a cicada the was pretty cool.

robby
    Quad Cities

Just kidding. Bad pic but I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen, what I think is a cicada killer. Holy Hannah, this thing was literally 2 inches long and buzzed right by my ear while I was watering my garden. Apparently they’re harmless to humans, but I feel bad for the cicadas.

They are fun to watch hunt. And they will kill Cicada’s one after another. Very effective killers.

B-man

One time when a buddy and I saw one, he said it reminded him of Iraq….when he was there they had giant flying bugs that could fly away with a breakfast sausage link rotflol

F that!

Hoyt4
    NULL

Oh they defend the nest . Ground nest along the drive ways

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Sitting on my front step I saw a large “bug” fly from the edge of the driveway to a tree. Went and looked at the hole. Figured it was a queen wasp. Got the hornet/wasp spray and sprayed the hole. Had another come out and dropped it with the spray on the wing. Ended up getting 2 or 3. Put them in a plastic tube and kept them in the freezer. My kids took them to elementary school “show and tell”. They are nasty looking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.