FOREST LAKE

• bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I recently moved and I live on Forest Lake and I want to shorten the learning curve of this lake a little if possible. Ive looked over the last DNR survey and netting results from 2009. Im primarily walleye fisherman looking for any insight on depth structure which lake 1,2 or 3 and preferred tactics and bait any insight would be greatly appreciated. Im a large water fisherman primarily from mille lacs, Leech, LOW, Rainy, Erie etc. I won’t be keeping any walleyes all C&R

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Weed edges spring through summer (rigging or trolling SRs), and stick bait trolling at night in the fall where the weeds are thinner.

The lake is weedier than it has ever been, and the recreational traffic makes it almost unfishable on the weekends.

If I were you, buy some musky stuff, and save the walleye fishing for other lakes.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Yea I’ve got the muskie gear ready hopefully can find a 50+ out there. I have seen a few in the shallows already mid 40″s and thanks for the info for the walleyes.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Lots of big Muskie out on Flake. I see them all the time while duck hunting in the fall. A lot sunning themselves in the summer as well.

Like Dan had said, rigging, or stickbaits along weed edges is your best bet or some transition lines as well.

It is tough to fish in the summer with all the recreational traffic. I don’t even bother, unless I tuck into some of the channels or weeds for bass.

muskiefever
    North Metro

You can duck hunt on forest?

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

You can duck hunt on forest?

Yea you can but be there early all the good spots get taken quickly but I shot on avg. 4 ducks a morning last year and I was out 2 times a week. Hu ting was good but I went on weekdays.

muskiefever
    North Metro

Very nice. I used to hunt Big Marine now and then. Heard people used to hunt Bald as well until they changed the regs out there. I currently go to school in ND and am too spoiled up there to hunt back home when I visit ha.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.