Chiropractors – Do you love them or hate them.

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Oh, btw, the biggest improvement to my back was to drastically reduce the amount of days in the boat… I know, nobody wants to hear that. But gollee it was noticeable last fall when fishing switched from constant to occasional.

Nothing ergonomic happening in a boat!

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

I haven’t read the whole thread so someone may have mentioned it.
    An orthopedist doctor I saw once just rolled his eyes when I mentioned a chiropractor. He said they treat the symptoms, not the cause of the pain.
    Have you noticed many of the “out of the box” medical treatments/approaches are usually owned/run by choropractors?

B-man
    Participant

Sharon I remember the thread with both of us doing head stands a year or two ago lol

I guarantee if I didn’t stretch everyday I wouldn’t be able to do one.

The kids still make me do them once in awhile and they’re getting a little better with them now too mrgreen

(Pics from that thread)

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221027-210836.png

2. Screenshot_20221027-211354.png

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

An orthopedist doctor I saw once just rolled his eyes when I mentioned a chiropractor. He said they treat the symptoms, not the cause of the pain.
    Have you noticed many of the “out of the box” medical treatments/approaches are usually owned/run by chiropractors?

EXACTLY!!!

deertracker
    Participant

Have you noticed many of the “out of the box” medical treatments/approaches are usually owned/run by choropractors?

Or he’s just mad about losing money.
    DT

Paulski
    Participant
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Doctors and Chiropractors generally do not get along in my experience, but the physical therapist I went to a number of years ago liked working with both to solve problems ( please note, he is not originally from the US)

As far as stretching, my very good chiropractor has indicated many times that daily stretching is the most undervalued simple thing folks can do to help themselves. I stretch every day ( 4-5 actual stretching movements, and one simple core movement) Not sure overall how much it helps, but I know it cannot hurt …

Paulski

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Netguy wrote:</div>

Or he’s just mad about losing money.
    DT

Ding Ding Ding !!! So if your sciatic nerve is pinched, what will an Orthopedist do ? Surgery ? crazy

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

I recently started seeing a chiropractor to address a herniated L5. I was very selective and I really judge on the first visit.

My chiro did not try to sell me homeopathic junk, did not try to “align my chakra”, etc. Steer clear of anyone doing hocus pocus magic.

I feel better. They put me on the decompression machine, it works wonders. I went 8 times in 2 weeks, now I’m going once a week and I intend to go once a month for the adjustment and decompression.

Food for thought, there are currently a number of class action lawsuits against various doctors, hospitals and clinics for performing unnecessary and often dangerous spinal fusion surgeries. My chiro charges me $30 a session and doesn’t try to put me on pills or do unnecessary surgery.

Like any profession there are professionals and quacks, and like any profession it can be hard to spot the difference. The past 2 years changed my view on the medical industry in ways that I never could have imagined.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

He said they treat the symptoms, not the cause of the pain.

This is interesting to me as it seems every time I enter a “real” doctor’s office for even the simplest thing they want to throw prescriptions at the symptoms and not actually figure out the root cause. Surely there are lots of good docs out there, but treating the symptoms is textbook modern medical industry.

An Investor note from Goldman Sachs in 2018 stated that there’s no sustained cashflow in curing diseases. Let that sink in.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Going to the doctor and going to the physical therapist are two different things. One is allowed to prescribe meds, the other can’t. You need to ask your doctor for a referral to the PT.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

You need to ask your doctor for a referral to the PT.

Not in Minnesota. Just google ” Is a referral from a doctor needed to see a PT ” Here is what comes up on several sites.

In Minnesota, you can make an appointment with a Physical Therapist directly, without a physician’s referral.

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

Go to a Physical Therapist. Most have a medical doctorate degree and give you exercises, strategies, and work with you to give you something you can use at home. You are also more likely to have insurance coverage for them as well.

Chiropractors are helpful, but their entire business model is predicated on you coming back for more appointments/adjustments/treatments, etc. The goal of Physical Therapists is to get you well enough that they don’t have to see you again.

Exactly !

gizmoguy
    Participant
    Crystal,MN

I feel better. They put me on the decompression machine, it works wonders. I went 8 times in 2 weeks, now I’m going once a week and I intend to go once a month for the adjustment and decompression.

Have you thought about getting an inversion table? They can do similar spinal decompression. And you can do it at home. I like mine.
    You can buy one used for under $100.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Ding Ding Ding !!! So if your sciatic nerve is pinched, what will an Orthopedist do ? Surgery ?

They’ll refer you to a physical therapist or as a friend of mind calls them, physical terrorists. lol
    The physical therapist will do an evaluation and discuss what happened to cause the pain and develop a stretching and exercise program to get everything in proper alignment. If you do the stretches and exercises it will usually solve the problem.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Have you thought about getting an inversion table? They can do similar spinal decompression. And you can do it at home. I like mine.

I had an uncle who lived on the family farm. In the basement he had a rope with a loop hanging over the floor joist. He said he would put it around his feet and pull until he was inverted. My buddy and I called it his “chiropractic”.
    That buddy’s nephew’s wife is a chiropractor. Some of the “tools” she has look like medieval torture devices. shock

ssaamm
    Participant
    Pequot Lakes

I think they have there place. You can always get in quick. They are cheap. They might even help a bit. Once they talk about supplements or functional medicine, or magnets, I’m out. Physical therapists and stretching make the most sense to me. I only stretch when I’m in pain. I’m not bright enough to do it to avoid pain.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I visited Stretch Lab, freaking awesome!
    I did however feel like I went through a meat grinder a couple days after but I will definitely go back.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

You can buy one used for under $100.

I’ve been casually browsing Craigslist, but I have some hobbies that consume all my fun money lately. Looking for an inversion table and an elliptical currently, but not willing to spend big money.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hey fishthumper, How is your back doing? Anything make a difference?

Just curious how this turned out….

-J.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Sharon I remember the thread with both of us doing head stands a year or two ago lol

I guarantee if I didn’t stretch everyday I wouldn’t be able to do one.

The kids still make me do them once in awhile and they’re getting a little better with them now too mrgreen

(Pics from that thread)

B-man my head is not flat enough for me to do a headstand. whistling doah

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Hey fishthumper, How is your back doing? Anything make a difference?

Just curious how this turned out….

-J.

Back is much better. I can not say the trip to the Chiropractor helped much or not. It was already starting to feel better by the time I went. Then again maybe it was part of the reason it got better as fast as it did. I’ve tried to do some basic stretches every once in awhile. I should probably make it a daily thing. I can tell you this getting old thing sucks. It probably does not help that I’m not willing to put in the time of effort to get into better shape and eat better either. I know I should but just don’t. I know I have no one to blame but myself.

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.