Fall bite

• bigpike

Been doing well for walleye in my usual early fall locations, been finding nice bonus big river slabs along with the eyes. At first I thought all the surfacing fish in 2-6 fow were smally’s. To my surprise they were big river slabs and they were hungry. I still cant figure out what they are surfacing on but as long as I catch them its no matter. Been finding these fish off of current edge on flats next to the channel. Never found crappies this shallow this time of year and not one small one to be found in the lot

rockriver

Congrats on the nice slabs. I’ll try them tomorrow on the lake. I think the past few nights cool temps may have prompted a little feeding frenzy.
    I didn’t know they feed at the surface like that. What is the water temp? What depth are you finding the walleyes?

bigpike

Water temps are at 71, walleyes I am finding anywhere from 3′ to 14′ with the bigger ones up shallow. This cold front will slow them down for a few days….

bigpike

Made it out today, first light bite on this river never seems to pay off so I went out around 8 AM. Man the bite was slow, moved around some and s-l-o-w-l-y the fish started heating up. Popped a 19″ walter around 11 when it was time to go home, fishing kept improving as the morning went on. All fish in 10-14′, water temps dropped around 5 degrees from Monday. very windy today limited fishing spots I like to try, will be back out soon

bigpike

Spent a couple hours on the river this morning. Ended up with a handfull of crappies and walleye each. Biggest being 17.5 for the eye. I think with some stable weather we should start seeing those 30-50 fish days soon. Water temps at 65 right now. River is rising fast, recorded just under 4″ of rain at the house overnight.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What is the water level there today, I was planning to fish there with my cousin on Monday.

FishingFool

VERY high water moving VERY fast!!! I would plan another day…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.