Chippewa River

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Last night I decided to run down and try out the Chippewa for a couple of hours. It was such a nice evening and I thought maybe I could catch a couple of eaters. After the first cast I knew it was gonna be tough. I don’t know what kind of green, moss, or algae that is in the river but there is a lot of it floating down. Every cast you must clean off your split shot, jig, lure or slip knot. The smallmouth were pretty active and I caught several in the 14 inch size. They seemed to like the purple ringworm on a gold jig. As the evening was winding down and the sun was disappering the bite seemed to start on the surface. Not carying much equipment I didn’t have any poppers with me so I tied on a floating jig, removed my split shot and threaded on a fuzzy grub. Next I put on a small piece of crawler for good measure and made my first cast to an awaiting smallie. I caught several like this and even a crappie. I will throw a couple of poppers in my jig box for future emergency surface bites. A fly fisherman could have a good time towards dusk on the river now. Boy is the river low. Anyone else been out on the Chippewa. Steve

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.