It never happened until today. Part 2

• bigpike
    Participant

Took to the river this morning with a co-worker Wade. We planned on casting a flat to see if the walleyes were up feeding. Sure enough we caught some nice eyes only to discover on a break off when the boat drifted to deeper water that the biggins were feeding a little deeper. Pitching 1/8 ounce jigs and minnows we fished this spot for an hour and a half before the fishing cooled boating 20 fish, biggest being 18″. Moved to the next spot we started banging nice eyes right off the bat when my buddy looked like he was snagged, until he told me “this aint no snag”. Fight on- get the net. Well this musky sure enough had a small walleye in its mouth, when it came to the boat all it had was jig in it’s mouth. Measurables were 14.5 pounds and 39 1/2″, it was caught about 40′ from the walleye/musky I caught last month! We continued to pound walleyes on this spot until we had to go with the biggest being 19.5″ (Wade again!) All told we boated 39 fish in 3 hours, species caught were- Walleye, Pike, Musky, SM Bass, Crappie, Perch, and Rock Bass. The bite is nothing short of fantastic if you play the weather right, I did not see another soul on the river today

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Nice job Bigpike! That had to be fun!

Eric

bigpike
    Participant

Thanks Cougar! Made it out today and caught another 30 or so but the size was not there like yesterday, still I would like to say that this 14-18″ slot is something I didn’t like at all for the Chippewa water ways from downtown up through Wissota and into Holcombe. I would like to say that it really has improved the fishery overall, I guestamate that I am catching about 25% of my fish in the slot, there are allot of the “perfect eaters” for the 14-18″ slot in those 12.5-14″ fish out there and plenty of youngsters coming up behind them. Fish above the slot are coming on! For all the gripping we do on the DNR they deserve a pat on the back for this move….

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Good work! I’m glad to see the clicker is getting a work out!

Sully

bigpike
    Participant

Yep, I have been having a blast this fall down there. Hey Jason sorry about this week, I spent my off time visiting my mom for her birthday. Lets give the clicker a work out this Monday night or Tuesday night? Full moon should coming pretty soon…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.