would like info on the Chippewa

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I am putting together some Outdoor Ministries events for our church group this summer. We will be paddling some of our local streams as well as back waters of the Miss. I am wondering what a trip down the Chippewa would be like. Thinking about going from Durand to the Miss. Hopefully not under high water conditions such as was last year.
    Has anyone floated this stretch? How long of a trip is it taking into account, amature paddlers, a little fishing, potty breaks, lunch breaks, etc? Is the motor boat traffic pretty minimal? Camping on sandbars ok? How’s the fishing?
    I really would appreciate any info via this forum or pm.
    Thanks
    Woolybugger

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Wish I could help you out as I fish the Chippewa a lot but usually from Durand upstream. One thing to remember is the wind always blows up the river. I don’t know why that is but it sure seems like it though. Pull your canoes up on shore and camp a ways from the water as the dam people are always messing with it. I’ve met a few people walking out as they didn’t put out an anchor or pull the boat far enough out of the water. How big is your group? Lots of good fishing from Durand upstream and I imagine it’s the same down.Depending on when you go bring mosquitoe spray and I mean a big can. Steve

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Not sure yet how many will be going. Good advice though about camping on high ground. Is there a number to check with the dam people prior to setting out?

RiveRat

There is some pretty good smallie and catfishing (both channels and flatheads)The lower Chippewa is a great river to float, as it has a ton of sandbars and shallow flats. The above mentioned flats and sanbars keep the boats to a minimum, but you can run into some jet skiers, and the occasionl fan boat.
    I have never floated it, but even with my jon boat the trip takes a while.
    Good luck.

RiveRat

leinieman
    what species do you typically go after?
    I fish the Mississippi quite abit around the mouth of the Chippewa, but I don’t fish the Chippewa much due to how hard it is to navigate.

leinieman

hey woolybugger, You could try giving the DNR a call at 839-3700. That is the Eau Claire office. They will be able to give you info on camping out down the river. There is no real worry about the water risin and taking your canoe I just mentioned that as I belive the people that lost theirs might not have bothered to tie them or anchor them. Just pull them up on shore and tie or throw out the anchor and they will be fine.Let me know when you find out how many are going and when. Steve

leinieman

RiveRat,hows fishing. I mostly fish walleye’s and smallies but crappies sometime bite on the river and perch do too. Once in a while we catch some cats white bass. I mostly fish from the shore on the Chippewa or pool hop. I have a small 12 foot flat bottom for that. There are some good backwater lakes that hold some nice fish also. Steve

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

I have floated with tubes, middle of summer, from Ella to the HWY 35 bridge which is just above the mouth. That took about 6 hours (figuring we had about 20 guys and gals). Very scenic and enjoyable float. I am guessing with a little higher water and actually paddling, you could make it from Durand to the same landing in about 8-9 hours. I would plan a whole day regardless. The mere time it takes to get everyone in and out of the water adds a couple hours I’ll bet. Bring plenty of water if you are doing it in the summer and lots of strong sunscreen. The sun can be a killer. Any other questions, let me know.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

do you fish from shore around the 35 highway bridge at all? I have fished there quite a bit and caught some nice walleyes, and once the stripers and smallies are in there hold on to your seat because they really go off catch about 50+ a day easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.