Chippewa Flowage

• chrismo

hi everyone, I just booked a place to stay in August for my first fishing trip to the Chippewa Flowage. We are staying on the west side. It’s basically a musky trip but it’s also about learning the lake.
    I’m not familiar with it at all so I have been trying to do some research on it. Can anyone
    tell me what the normal lake elevation is and what the current lake level is? Is there a website that posts those numbers? We use the lake levels down here in missouri because some of our lakes fluctuate so much year round. I saw something about an annual winter drawdown so is the lake pretty stable the rest of the year?
    thanks
    chris

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

The Chip is at full pool right now. Excel Energy posts levels on the Chip and turtle Flambeau flowages.

chrismo

thank you steveo, i found the page with the lake levels.
    do you think the weeds will be in good shape for the first
    half of september?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have fished the Chip twice a year spring and fall for going on 30 years if going for Muskies I would be looking more on the East side better numbers there. Get a good Lakemaster chip as the East side is mostly rock it is like fishing two different lake east to west. We fish mostly Crappies and once in a while Walleyes, the water fluctuations does not seem to make a very big difference in the fishery. They have been doing a huge draw down in the late fall to kill off weeds the last I think 6 years. Suppose to help the Walleye`s but the Walleyes have always been there just have to learn to fish weeds.

chrismo

thank you tom, i will try the east side also. my garmin has the built in maps, i have not looked at chippewa flowage yet buy they do a pretty good job with their maps. i also am old school and like the paper maps. is the hot spots the best one available?
    thanks
    chris

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The Flowage doesn’t change much I used the HotSpots years ago and it is pretty good, I would not pay a ton of attention to the areas they mark but more a reference. Be sure and set your lake depth offset if Garmin has it.

chrismo

Thank you Tom, is the offset where I take into account how deep my outboard is in the water? And then adjust for it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.