Chetek Campgrounds

• AlumaBuster
    LaCrosse, WI.

First post ever- So I will be going up to Chetek in 2 weeks and have reservations at Northern Exposure campground. I am wondering from the guys that have been up in the area is there a better campground to maybe try to get into. Please help me out this will be my first time in this area camping and fishing.

Also is there any advise for fishing wise. I will be focusing on some crappies and bluegills but also might try for some wallys.

Help me out!! Thank you!

mattfishing

I know just were that is my brother in law has a place on mud/ojaski lake the campground your at will be between this lake and Prairie lake. For crappies I would hit mud lake there is a couple of island out there in the middle and just a hook and some crappie candy yellow seemed to be the best. We actauly drifted for them and did very well. For walleye Prairie lake is your best bet. If you look online you can get the gps for the crappie cribs and also they brought in truck loads of rocks of the point in prairie lake and they give you the gps coordinates for that as well. Fish crappie in the day and walleye at night because I know this that area gets Busy alot of people and activity on that lake. Also when you go through the backwater river to Prairie lake theres a big stump just before the bridge you go under be careful. Have a good time

mattfishing

Found that website for you with the gps for the cribs and walleye rocks, check it out http://www.cheteklakespa.org/. One thing I forgot is we fished some of the cribs and nothing there were all by the islands… Welcome to the site these guys are great!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Welcome to IDO. The Chetek chain has a lot of water to fish. For Crappie, I agree with drifting. We usually have a bobber setup to fish the suspended fish and then something on the bottom. Drift on move until you find fish. The fish have run a bit smaller the last few years, but still a lot of fun for the kids.

Good Luck,

FDR

AlumaBuster
    LaCrosse, WI.

Thanks guys any campgrounds you guys would recommend????

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have had a seasonal spot here at Northern Exposure for the last 10+ years. The campground is usually pretty quiet. The sites are pretty big compared to some of the others and they don’t pack you in on top of each other.

Crappie/blue gill fishing has been pretty good this year. I just got here yesterday for the week so haven’t fished yet but from talking to others here, sounds like the fishing is still good. Hope to try for some walleyes this week. Do you know which site you have reserved?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.