Cheaters busted, lake erie!

• Kevin
    Participant

Just saw that 2 guys got busted putting 8 lbs of lead weights in there 5 walleyes. It sounds like people have been suspicious of these guys for years because of there winning streak. Glad they finally got caught and hopefully they get the book thrown at them for this.

AK Guy
    Participant

Terrible. I can’t believe it took this long for the guys to get busted. You know this couldn’t be the first time they cheated.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Exactly they’ve been cheating the entire time. Should be lifetime ban.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Link? Is this the fall brawl? I can’t believe anyone is stupid enough to try cheating in those Erie tournaments.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Found it.

Greenhorn
    Participant
    Bismarck, ND

Do they just shove those egg weights down their throats?

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Do they just shove those egg weights down their throats?

I’m sure unless they are freelance surgeons. Also shoved filets and supposedly pliers in the fish. With so much money at stake why are they not at least using a $30 metal detector?
    Time to move out of the country. After this weekend they won’t be able to show their faces anywhere.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

These same clowns criminals won 3 tourneys in a row last year with over $300k in winnings.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

They were DQed once last year as one failed a polygraph test. 8 lbs of weights in the fish. Kind of dumb.
    They won the team of the year as well this year.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Unfortunately, this makes you realize how widespread cheating likely is in fishing tournaments. If tournaments where 10s of thousands of dollars, boats, etc are all at stake can be cheated repeatedly by the same people…odds are many smaller less prominent tournaments are as well. I know of 3 examples on Pool 4 from just the last 5-6 years, and I’m not someone who tournament fishes anymore.

-two anglers were caught stashing bass in a cage for a small weeknight league on the river

-an angler was caught with a sunken cage full of 5+# walleyes on the lower end of Pool 4

-2 local anglers were questioned about their winning crappies in a marina tournament for multiple years, and it was later found after the fact that the guys were catching crappies ahead of time and bringing them in buckets. It was reported to the tournament but nothing was done seeing as it’s relatively small (but now growing to decent purses for a win).

Best of luck to those of you who pour your hearts into competitive angling. Some formats are better than others, but many are ripe for the picking by the dishonest.

Deuces
    Participant

I wonder if that was the best way to go about it, that really could have escalated quickly. If they would have allowed him to win officially, then find the weights a guy would think they may have a better shot at criminal charges, the past is the past. Just a thought.

Hope the hammer comes down legally as hard as possible to deter future tournament cheating.

isu22andy
    Participant

They are probably lucky they walked out of there lol

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Nice catch EPG!
    Penalty is not near harsh enough for me!

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

These jackwagons got off easy . Some cheaters cheat when no money is involved . Back in the 90,s a couple guys caught a Muskie on a different lake than the tournament. All that was in play was a small trophy . Somehow they got caught and disqualified. Only to be remembered and banned from future tourneys , over a 20 dollar trophy ! People are nutz .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Personally the embarrassment of being caught cheating is much more then the probation or losing a $100,000. boat. But I’m glad they made it sting.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Personally the embarrassment of being caught cheating is much more then the probation or losing a $100,000. boat. But I’m glad they made it sting.

Totally agree BK!

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Not sure how long the probation will last as one of them already has another forgery charge pending for using fake 100$ bills. Oh his son was doing it too.
    What scum bags.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I’d say they were lucky with only a lost boat and embarrassment. Had they been caught doing this back in the day ( Yes I’m a old man ) they would not have walked away well from that weigh-in. Sounds like they are overall POS

tswoboda
    Participant

The anglers’ trial was set to begin on Monday, but as Cleveland.com reported, their attorneys and prosecutors agreed to a last-minute deal to avert the procedure. More than 30 witnesses were set to testify for prosecutors, who will recommend that Runyan and Cominsky face six months of probation in lieu of prison.

That would have been a highly entertaining trial

So long as Runyan and Cominsky stay out of trouble, their convictions can be expunged from their records.

Why? Should stay there forever IMO

The duo, however, will face multiyear suspensions of their fishing licenses, and they’ll need to forfeit a bass boat worth about $100,000 to state authorities.

Should never be able to get a fishing/hunting license again.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Unfortunately Sociopaths don’t get embarrassed.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

Wondering if the boat will go to auction?

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Wondering if the boat will go to auction?

Prolly got a terrible hole shot with all the lead stashed in there.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

I was thinking it would be cool if a good guy got it and won a tournament. It would be cool if I could afford to buy it. It wouldn’t be cool if the cheaters got it back at a bargain price.

MX1825
    Participant

Well supposedly several years with revoked hunting/fishing privleges. So they won’t need a boat if the obey the law. whistling
    What do you think the chances of that happening. doah

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.