Chain area ice fishing

• tim hurley

We will be up that way around Presidents day fishing for panfish-got a good tip from a friend about a lake up there but I always like to have a plan ‘B’-Even if plan A works out, just nice to have new scenery. FYI we can walk out or drive out-no ATV this time
    Thanks

link!

Was up last Thursday and Friday and found a few decent crappies despite the cold weather. We were fishing in about 30’ of water with crappie minnows. Bite was about the lightest I’ve seen. Nice to be out but good to be in a portable with a heater.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I drove by the Robert St public access on Cross early yesterday. The road to the houses out on the lake looked almost un-passable whoever plows it may get out there again. But with yesterdays fresh blowing snow, I don’t know who or when.

I haven’t seen any drive-able roads on Big Trout, sled trails yes.

Hope this helps…

Mos’

Sled trails on Big Trout.. are there any houses set up out there?

djshannon
    Crosslake

I drove past the Big Trout public access on Co. Rd. 66 yesterday. There were only 2 houses out on the lake. They were on the north side of the lake a good 1/2 a mile from the access.

The new snow has covered most of the sled trails.

Fish on…

Mos’

Unpressured anyway! Thanks for the update!

djshannon
    Crosslake

Was out on Big Trout yesterday for about 3 hours looking for some Lake Trout. Walked out about 1/2 a mile pulling my sled and sat on a bucket. By mid-afternoon the ice was starting to get a little wet. There were a couple people out there on ATVs fishing the far west side of the lake. Played cat and mouse on my Showdown with something on the bottom in 85 ft of water. My assorted lures/spoon/jigs with or without wax worms was not what they wanted.

tim hurley

We cancelled our trip for P. Day, way too much snow-looking to go next Monday and we could still use a plan B if the access is messed up. Thanks

djshannon
    Crosslake

Drove past the Big Trout public access on P. Day and there were at least 10 vehicles parked along the road and the lake was dotted with people fishing. They were traveling on the lake with ATVs and Sleds. Last Wednesday when I was out there was still a couple feet of ice. It wasn’t clear but it was plenty good enough for a Sled or ATV. You still have 6 more days of Trout fishing. If you get out post a picture.

tim hurley

Thanks dwj-we are on foot and fishing for pannies and tullies. My friend is in his 70s so I would rather not have to walk far; any ideas?

djshannon
    Crosslake

Tim,

Tullies and Pannies are two different fishing styles. Tullies are schooling deep water bottom feeders. Pannies are mid to shallow.

If I were looking for close pannies it wouldn’t be on Trout.

How well do you know the area? Do you know the Robert Street access to Cross?
    A short hike (less than 300ft) out to a nice drop. Probably no one there. Were houses out there most of the ice season and are gone now. Check out the Navionics online map.

tim hurley

Sent you a pm DJ-how is the condition of the ice for walking? Still looking for a good plan ‘B’ Thanks

tim hurley

Coming up tomorrow! Any last bits of wisdom? (like stay home-ha ha ha) Crappies up there like minnows bugs, depends? Thanks—Hotel has a pool, that will be nice.

tim hurley

Thanks again DJ-we had a very good trip. Beautiful up there this time of year-got a few fish too!

namborn

How is the ice this year? Didn’t know if the snow last week hit this area?
    thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.