Cedar Lake West Bay

• Holdmybeer
    Participant

Anyone know if the channel on the west end stays open all summer long for pontoon traffic? Looking at buying a cabin back in there and want to make sure it is navigable.

Thanks in Advance.

D E
    Participant

I hit bottom going through there a couple times a year with motor trimmed up high if I don’t hit it just right when water is low like right now or late summer it gets tight. Wish they’d dig it out just another foot. We have a cabin on Cedar and probably should’ve chosen another lake just based on the fishing. Cedar is a tough fishing lake for the species I prefer target(walleyes/muskies), I find myself fishing surrounding area lakes more and more. But it is a gorgeous body of water on the plus side. Good luck!

Holdmybeer
    Participant

Thanks DE, Appreciate the info. I’ve never been through the channel. Has it been dug out in the past? Good to know on the fishing, I usually target Walleyes myself.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Don’t give up on the Walleyes! They are in there, you just gotta find them (I boated 5 in a matter of hours 2 weeks ago) I’ve had a cabin on Cedar 5 years now and will admit it was a pain finding fish the first few years, but once you start adding more spots to your playbook you’ll start to figure out patterns and put BIG fish in the boat…

Muskies are everywhere in Cedar, with it being such a clear water lake, focus on low light times of day…

Cedar has tons of deep structure fishing that most fisherman aren’t very familiar with, it pays to try new techniques!

I’m guessing the channel to Little Cedar is pretty sketchy right now with the low water levels, I agree that the DNR should dredge it a bit more or at least move the big rocks that can do some damage…

Holdmybeer
    Participant

Thanks JoeMX1825,

What is your experience with that channel into the west bay? Planning on going up this weekend to check it out.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

It shallow. Normally have to be careful, not sure what it’s like if the water is low?

greig john
    Inactive
    Minnesota

What year did they remove the bridge over the channel? I assume it’s still gone?
    My parents owned a place in the west bay that my mom sold around ’96 after my dad passed. Our neighbor used to flaunt his walleye prowess by leaving the big ones in the bucket by his well down by the lake.

We took our 17′ StarCraft through the channel/under the bridge back then, but I’ve never been through in a pontoon.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Thanks JoeMX1825,

What is your experience with that channel into the west bay? Planning on going up this weekend to check it out.

I’m assuming “west bay” is Little Cedar lake? That channel is very narrow and has rocks everywhere. I puckered when I idled through it last year with my Skeeter fiberglass boat, if you have a narrower aluminum boat it’s likely not a problem, just trim way up and still watch your prop, maybe even kill the motor and push through with an ore.

I’ve seen the old pictures of the wooden “cattle” bridge that used to be there and span the gap. If the DNR does nothing, I would think getting 5-6 LIttle Cedar Lake neighbors together just to move out some of the rocks in that pass through would be very beneficial.

Don Carlisle
    Participant
    Aitkin mn

This is the time to do it. The lake is real low now

Holdmybeer
    Participant

Thanks again JoeMX1825,

Could be little Cedar I’m new to the lake. Its the inlet at the southwestern bay, you can see the old cattle trail on google maps (no bridge) so I’m thinking we are talking about the same spot.

Holdmybeer
    Participant

Hi Greig John, I don’t know much about the history on the lake but I’m sure someone will find this post that may have more history on the bridge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.