Cedar Lake walleyes in August

• D E

Guys,

Any idea where the walleyes go on Cedar this time of year? Don’t seem to be too many out in the abyss anymore as the tullibees seem to be staying deep all the time now, including evening. Weeds maybe? Far east bay? Slip bobbers not working for me on the humps in the evening anymore either for the last couple weeks…getting frustrated and running out of ideas. If anybody wants to network a bit let me know, I’ll be up at the cabin trying the next two weekends for sure. Thanks!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think it has more to do with the time of year than anything else (Dog days of summer)…wait 5-6 weeks and the fish will start putting on the feed bags again…I haven’t had alot of opportunities to get out fishing this summer as we still had a few projects that needed our attention, but I hope to do more this fall, especially for Muskie…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Dog days of summer

Fish are cold blooded.

Like frogs, warmer body temperature means higher activity level means more calories needed.

Fish eat more in the ‘dog days of Summer’.

JoeMX1825
    MN

maybe it’s dealing with all of the rec boater traffic, but August fishing just isn’t fun for me…the fish seem to not be as aggressive as they are in spring and fall..

Deuces

It does get tough for most. Yes their metabolism is cranked but the forage is also at its peak.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It does get tough for most. Yes their metabolism is cranked but the forage is also at its peak.

Here’s my take on this perception.

When the water warms above 75 most people fish too slow for the aggressive fish and they’re actually fishing, and occasionally catching the inactive fish with these slower presentations.

Come fall when the water temp drops these slower presentations are what the aggressive fish want.

Turn the speed dial up in the summer. Fish want reaction bites and will pass up most slow presentations. Fish are also the most spread out in the summer, which plays into covering ground with faster presentations.

I like to phrase it this way, in the winter a walleye will eat a pea a day. Most fish won’t eat every day though… They’ll have a big meal and rest a week.
    In the summer it will eat a steak a day.

Pleasure craft certainly play a part in where and how we can fish.

Also, in the summer you’ll notice deep lakes have a thermocline. You’ll also notice the majority of the biomass is in the basin roaming. There’s oodles of bait in the basin thermoclines and ooodles game fish to boot. The majority of fishermen do not Target these fish and they are missing out… It is where the bigger ones hang.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.