Cedar Key Florida/Crystal River

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thinking of getting a VRBO down in Cedar key for spring break. We would like a nice VRBO on the beach if possible.
    Or Crystal River area to swim with the Manatees.

Any recommendations?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I won’t be able to make it. Just too busy. whistling doah

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The Plantation on Crystal River. Call up Jimmy and Luiza from Livin’ The Dream (Luiza especially) if you go

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Good lord. Shouldn’t of googled Jimmy and Luiza Livin’ The Dream.

stevenoak

I spend Jan and Feb 40 miles south of C.R. We drive up every week or two.
    I taught scuba diving there 40 years ago, through a shop in Wisconsen.
    Weather has been fantastic this year. 75 to 80 this week, daytime rain once or twice in the last 5 weeks. Warmer and drier than normal. C.R is a good spot to see manatees. Lots of options, pontoon, snorkel, clear acrylic kayaks. 3 sisters park has a walkway a walkway around it for viewing. This week the gulf here is running near 70. Normally this time of year it’s closer to 60. Springs run 72 year around. The colder the gulf, the more manatees will come into the springs. 2 years ago, it was loaded. We usually see a cold front every 5 to 7 days, but they have been very mild for the last few weeks. One good cold front dropping the gulf to 60, can bring them in short order. I have them under my kayak all the time, so don’t travel to see them unless wife of company wants to go.
    The Big Bend area is not known for beaches. But lots of natural areas. Most of the coast is marsh and mangroves. But there are a few beaches. If it’s under 80 degrees, there will be mostly snowbirds on the beaches. 75 is sweatshirt weather for the locals. Keep bug spray handy, no-see-ums can be a bitch, esp. with low wind.
    Not a ton else to do in C.R but some good seafood eats. Crackers, Crab Plant, Seafood Seller {off their boat seafood} but Cajun sides were so-so. Sodium Fishing Gear is a neat tackle shop. A little touristy shopping downtown. Other springs to visit inland, very cool to see the different ones.
    Never been to Cedar Key. but it looks a little more isolated. Told my wife, I’d like to check it out on the way down next year.

Attachments:
    1. 20220211_1249146493-scaled.jpg

stevenoak

couple more. I checked reviews on Plantation at Crystal River, for friends visiting. As of last year reviews were very mixed. It appears they are in the process of redoing everything. People that stayed in the remodeled part gave great reviews. But quite the opposite staying in the old part, from mold, bugs and peeling paint etc. But easy to plan activities though the resort. Included fishing guides. But I’d specify the remodeled part.

Attachments:
    1. 20220211_1251556497-scaled.jpg

stevenoak

Will only load one at a time.

Attachments:
    1. 20220209_1357206487-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

I’ve always been intrigued by the lesser-touristy Gulf areas of Florida like Cedar Key, etc. Less as in STILL TOURISTY, but enough off the beaten path to where it’s laid back and not a constant battle against the crowds like Ft Myers or Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota. It’s on my list as it looks like a backwater fisherman’s dream. Hope you find a great spot and have a fantastic time.

I only caught a glimpse of a manatee in the wild last year in Ft Myers (our guide dang near hit it and had to take evasive action). MUCH bigger than I pictured, I figured they’d be about the size of a dolphin, but they’re 2-3x bigger.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Good lord. Shouldn’t of googled Jimmy and Luiza Livin’ The Dream.

No you should not have. fishing with Luiza Youtube channel is even better. I would clear that search history if you have a wife. That may not end well for you.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

@scastrey Awesome manatee pics! I’ve yet to see one in the wild but would absolutely love to see them up close and personal, like that.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

How many of us you taking along to babysit?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The Plantation on Crystal River. Call up Jimmy and Luiza from Livin’ The Dream (Luiza especially) if you go

I’m pretty sure I need a new fishing partner.
    Sorry Chuck. rotflol rotflol rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ole Jimmy really is livin the dream. I’m jealous

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ole Jimmy really is livin the dream. I’m jealous

Ha!
    No you’re not. I’ve seen pics BC.
    And I’m jealous. mrgreen

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.