Caught a first

• Weekender
    Participant
    Southcentral MN

After work today I hooked up the boat and went to a nearby lake for a few hours. Casting a paddletail swim bait, I had a fish crush it in 3fow and the fight was on! Rod bent way over, drag peeling, I could only figure it was a big pike or a really odd carp. NOPE! Neither. After a good long battle, I got the fish in the net and it was a catfish! I couldn’t hardly believe my eyes. If I were to guess, I’d say it was in the 5-7 pound range.

It’s my first ever cat. And I learned quickly these fish are STRONG! So much fun.

I think the only species left for me to catch now are trout, salmon and musky. And if I’m super lucky, next month maybe I can scratch musky off my list with our trip to the Big V.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210619-213307_Gallery-1.jpg

2. Screenshot_20210619-213307_Gallery.jpg

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

nice! wait till you catch one on 4lb panfish gear. now that is a fun ride!

tim hurley
    Participant

they are a blast in shallow water!

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

When they crush a crank bait on the river they’ll almost take the rod out of your hands. Just hang on!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Yes walleye gear is outmatched by eater sized catfish.
    Reek havoc on crankbaits for sure!

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

They are a fun welcome surprise. It seems like I catch 1 or 2 a year. I caught a rather nice one on Sat. What a fight on 8lb. test ( it probably took me 10+ minutes to land ) I estimate the weight of the one I caught at around 16-18 lbs. The place I catch them only seems to have BIG ones. Have never caught a smaller one there. I now know why so many people target them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.