How does Eel taste?

• dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

For those of you that ever contemplated keeping one of those slimy eels (very few I know). DON’T DO IT.
    From what I hear, there is very little (white) meat to salvage, and there is a good chance you won’t even be able to bring yourself to eat it because you are gagging so bad from the smell and slime.
    Just what I’ve heard……

Here’s another little tidbit. The 14-18″ crappies are on fire right now on Pool 4! I might be able to round up a picture or two in the next few days.

rushing
    Mn

Perhaps good cutbait if legal?

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

I tried eel several years ago. It does have quite a bit of meat, more than rattlesnakes anyway, but it was too sweet and tough. Much like calamarie (squid) but much more rubbery. Rattlesnake is much better but I guess they are protected now so no more rattle snake either. I never tried eel again.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Unagi sushi is freshwater eel (smoked, I think). I wonder if they use American Eel around here? In any case, Unagi is tasty stuff! It’s supposed to be an aphrodisiac, too…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

but it was too sweet and tough

You must have got some putty…er I mean slime on it.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Can I change your Post a little Dtro?

For those of you that ever contemplated keeping one of those slimy Flathead Catfish (very few I know). DON’T DO IT. They carry a trait that will make your nuggets shrink, you will be rendered useless to the opposite sex, you will have bad breath for ever, your dog will no longer like you, and you will be forced to use a nose warmer for eternity. Ohh yeah, when fishing crazy people will “work their magic” in plain site on shore…Right Gocat

I think that is what he meant

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hear you John! They put some oyster sauce on it too I think. Almost as good as Uni.

You know what else likes eels? Sturgeon.

mile832
    MN

Quote:

Here’s another little tidbit. The 14-18″ crappies are on fire right now on Pool 4! I might be able to round up a picture or two in the next few days.

14-18″!!!!!! As in fourteen to EIGHTEEN ? What the?

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Quote:

Ohh yeah, when fishing crazy people will “work their magic” in plain site on shore…Right Gocat

You got that right Brent Still can’t bring myself to fish that spot. It was a great spot too. Deep hole filled with snags

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

14-18″!!!!!! As in fourteen to EIGHTEEN ? What the?

Yup Tim…I was shown this spot a few years back. Once Dtro posts the pics I’ll post the location.

mile832
    MN

cant wait for the pics!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.