superline whine?

• joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

Have you all ever noticed in stiff current sometimes the line will make a high pitched noise when you get your ear near it? Has anyone caught fish that way? No problem?

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

I guess i’ve never heard it, But I generally don’t have my head out 8′ to be near the line. I’d guess it dosn’t matter as I still catch fish……….

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

Doesn’t all line make a high pitched sound? I know it does with high wind. I haven’t noticed it with fast current and PP, but I don’t like the drag with a heavy current. I am not sure that 20# mono wouldn’t give me the same drag either though.

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Yes, it makes noise.. a high pitch whine, or a moaning type sound..similar to downrigger cable.

I dont know if it makes any difference or not. It can get aweful noisy when several rods are out in heavy current with a lot of weight… sometimes the vibration can get so heavy the rod holders start making noise too.

ggoody
    Participant
    Mpls MN

The super line musical symphony…

My 3 extra rods in my rod storage holders make quite the sound you can tune them by how much line tension you have on them….tighter tension is a higher pitch lower more bass…

I think the fish like the lower bass setting….

theodorenugget
    Participant
    Sugar Land, TX

Are you talking about a high pitched sound made from the string vibrating in the wind when they are just sitting out in the boat ? If so,

It’s the wind blowing your line. It’s most likely occurring on the rod that has your lure tight to the lure keeper. It’s the same principle as a guitar.

If that’s not what your talking about then.. Ummm… uhh.. Whining ? Maybe my kids are in range ?

Maybe you should set up a bunch of rods strung to different tensions & play a song ?

mplspug
    Participant
    Palmetto, Florida

I probably can’t hear it because the voices in my head drown it out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.