The fine points of fishing rocks?

• joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

I’ve been spending a good bit of time fishing on or near rocked shorelines. I just read another post about fishing rock bottoms and it made me consider the importance of the size of the rocks. Would football size rocks be more of a feeding ground and boulders be more of a daytime hideout? More current makes the sizes more important or less? Thanks guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can’t answer that one for you…the only time I fish rocks is along a rip rapped shore line. Then I fish the transition from rock to (generally) sand.

However thinking of sunken trees/timber, they seem to be around the larger trees in deep fast water during the day. If I can get my baits close enough to them, they will bite. Using that thought process…the boulders would be a daytime currant break for them.

Again, I don’t have the experiance here…but it would make sense.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

Think about rocks as big as a flattie would need to lay behind to get out of the current. Sometimes I will try to drift along rip rap shores with my bait as close to the bottom as I can get away with. I tend to do best where the drop meets the regular bottom. If you see rocks here and there that is a beautiful thing. If your river area doesn’t have lots of wood, you have to start somewhere. Good spot for an esox jig presented vertically.

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Any rocks that hold baitfish and crayfish are flathead magnets. Not all rocks are created equal. I have caught way too many flats burping up mass amounts of crayfish in some areas. Rock piles in areas with limited amount of rocks seem to be best. As BK said, the rock/sand transition area can be very good closely bordering these spots. Almost everywhere I fish rock, or rubble is one of the primary structures.

Football size, and boulders can both be excellent. Some types of rocks dont ever seem to be productive for me which are the smaller baseball size and smaller smooth rocks that make a flat, hard surface with no hiding spots for bait.

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

I like to fish 2 different areas that have a lot of football sized rock with some boulders scattered in a deep hole. Last year I spent a lot of time snagged up in these areas until posting a question how to avoid being hung up all the time. The answer was to shorten up my leader which has helped.
    These areas with boulders in the deep are holding Flatheads. This is the type area that just produced my personal best fish. I fish the flat which is scattered with rock in 6fow just 20-30 yards down stream of the deep hole. These areas have been producing 8 – 30lb Flats for me and now finally a big one
    I believe the more current the larger the structure needs to be to create a resting place for large flatheads. The 2 above areas don’t have a lot of current but then there is not much for wood or other hide outs near these areas either. I believe the Flatheads hang around because of the abundance of bait fish and still a short cruise to a good day time hide out.
    Of course this is still all speculation on my part, but test results have been good!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.