No-Roll sinkers

• genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Does the line slip threw those sinkers? How far from the hook should it be? How do you keep it that far from the hook? How do you choose the size of sinker for the weight of line? thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Landscat, Have you used those sinkers? That’s a remarkable lower price than I’ve ever seen!

Quote:

Does the line slip threw those sinkers? How far from the hook should it be? How do you keep it that far from the hook? How do you choose the size of sinker for the weight of line? thanks

Genegr. I’ve attached a photo that shows how they work that includes the swivel. A number of catters allow the no roll to slide right up to the hook…then just feed out the line that they want.
    I’ve found that 4 to 6 inches is pleanty for a leader. When I used 12 to 18 inches, I’ve found that I end up with more tangles.

The size weight comes with experiance. Many feel that the lightest weight that will hold a bait in place is the best. That depends on the currant conditions and the size bait you’re using. Cut bait uses less weight than live bait in the same speed of water…of course.

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks Brian for the help,

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow, that is cheap. Brain, you ripped me off Just kidding

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Briank, are you selling no-rolls? I have 1 1/2 oz and 3 oz ones from Catfish Connection but would like some 1 oz and 2 oz ones if you sell them. If you sell them you can just pm me about it if you wish.

Thanks, Bill

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Buddy Brian,
    Have you noticed the bead to save your knots? I have never used a bead and was just curious

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve always used the bead. I can’t say that it helps, but it sure is cheap insurance, so I’ll keep using it.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Bret, the Lund is back in my driveway so 2 feet of snow coming. Better not.
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ah! To bead or not to bead, that is the question.

Actually, I did a very non-scientific test last fall at the recommendation of FlatheadWI.

I tied two lentghs of my regular line (Power Pro) to a beam in the garage. Both were set up like the photo above…but one without a bead. Then for two days my wife and I took turns lifting the sinkers above our heads and dropping them (Hey! Beats Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies!).

After 350 (+/- 3%) drops, only two things were visable to the eye.

The no roll without the bead had a enlarged hole on the end that bounced on the knot.

The other, with the bead…had an enlarged bottom hole in the bead itself.

As far as the knot goes…no noticable differance.

I with the above evidence in hand (I tried taking photo’s but it was too small to see through the camera) I’m a firm believer in using a bead….if it makes a person feel better and not to use a bead…if you just don’t feel like it.

Note: at the time the above photo was taken…I was a firm believer in beads.

As another note: I didn’t lose any weight either.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Thanks Brian,

With 80 pound PP and a new knot now and then (wich I probably would do even with a bead) I think I’m safe!

Billl, Billl, bill bill bill

Thanks for the heads up, I have the shovel ready

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I have never used a bead. I like using verl small rubber hose on top of the swivel. Its very cheap and it lasts a very long time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was never good with new handles…but someone asked for this link…so here it is!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think the beads are a nice fashion statement for the style conscience cats. I prefer catching the burly coach potato cats.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Egg sinker + Finishing nail + + Pliers to pull out the nail = no roll sinker

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Way too much work. I’ll just buy them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Steve…I did that once with a 2 oz egg…I couldn’t get the nail out…ended up melting it down.

What’s the trick?

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

They do get stuck. I use a smooth shanked finishing nail. After I flatten the sinker, and if the nail does not come easily out, I crack my bench vice a bit, just so the nail fits in easily then I tap the nail back and forth gently with the hammer. Once the nail moves in the sinker, I can pull it out with a pliers. It’s really no big deal.

Or, I ask my wife to do it…..

Maybe you should eat your Wheaties before you try this? Do a few 12 oz curls, just to build up your strength???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bump to the top for a Ido member.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

No worries! This can’t get repeated enough.

thebigd25
    st. paul

how would you snap on a no-roll? pyramid sinkers dont move much but i get snagged way more.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Steve had some that are a cross between an egg/bank sinker and a no roll. I’d post a picture, but I can’t find them Googling.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Are you talking about bell sinkers pug?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Steve had some that are a cross between an egg/bank sinker and a no roll. I’d post a picture, but I can’t find them Googling.

Hi Pug – They are called Flat Bank Sinkers. I also use Flat Spoon Sinkers which will work similar to a No-Roll. Here is a picture of the Flat Bank Sinkers.

I started using them last year after Larry Haugh gave me a few Sinker Slides. I liked the Sinker Slides so much I bought myself a 100 of them and that is all I use for my slip rigs now. The Sinker Slides allow you to change sinkers easily and the flat bank sinkers work as good as a No Roll. If you use bigger sinkers that won’t fit in the snap on the Sinker Slide just loop the sinker on a rubber band and hook it on the sinker slide and you are in business. If the sinker hangs up the rubber band will break and you will get your rig back – they work pretty slick.

I don’t fish in as much heavy current as the guys on the Minnesota River or the Mississippi River and I can get by with much lighter sinkers. When I’m fishing channels I go as light as possible and I normally use between 1 oz to 2 oz sinkers.

thebigd25
    st. paul

i might have to try that sinker. whered you find those?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Catfish Connection sells Flat Bank Sinkers in sizes from 1/2 oz to 8 oz. They also sell Sinker Slides in 20 packs for $4 or 100 packs for $15.

I also like to use Flat Spoon Sinkers when fishing cut bait – they work good for repositioning your bait without having to reel all the way in and cast again. You can pop them up into the current and use the current to move your bait around. When they fall back to the bottom they anchor the bait pretty good. I keep a supply in the 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz range and they fit the Sinker Slide pretty well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Moore’s can get them for you.

Nice set up Steve. But where can a guy find the rubber bands?

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice pic Steve,
    I like the rubberband idea.
    I could see some additional uses. Mainly shooting your fishing mate in the head when he falls asleep or is scrapping with a fish..

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Nice pic Steve,
    I like the rubberband idea.
    I could see some additional uses. Mainly shooting your fishing mate in the head when he falls asleep or is scrapping with a fish..

I see BK wearing a helmet and safty glasses already .

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Might have to try that this spring Steve

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.