catfishing on pool 2

• Ben Garvin

Hi there, new member, read through lots of old posts, tons of excellent information. I’m wondering if anyone with some experience would be up for showing me the catfish ropes on pool 2 in the metro? Or maybe there’s someone who I oughta connect with? I’ve been trying to catch some cats (with no luck) off my small boat launched at Hidden Falls in St. Paul. Following varied advice on this forum, cut baitfish on the bottom, etc. It would be fun and an real education to go out with someone who actually knows what the hell they’re doing :). Please post here or send me a note at [email protected] if you’d be up for joining me sometime.
    Thanks,
    Ben

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I love catfishing in the summer and granted I didn’t hit it too hard this year, I certainly did put in enough time to know between the confluence and dam was void of fish this year.

I tend to think the majority of larger fish, all species, migrate their way South in P2 to bigger water.

Certainly not an expert, but I struggled as well. Cutbait, stinkbait, livebait, you name it, at least a dozen or so nights of very very little. Snagged my first softshell so that was pretty cool, released good.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have had good luck on Channels amongst the islands downriver of the So St Paul Launch. Did not make it out this summer due to a surgery.

Mwal

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

How many hours have you tried catching a catfish?

There’s many YEARS of threads on IDO, I suggest you read them all.

#1 read Brad Durick book (s)
    #2 read good times in catfish country
    #3 read catfish fever, actually maybe read that first as it is entry level.

Good strategy puts fish in the boat everyday, any species.

At this moment, channel cats will be out of the current. Cold temps have their metabolism crashing. They’re seeking slow current that is holding lots of bait. They’ll be more prone to Nibble at bait at this time.
    Very soon they’ll start congregating and you’ll find 90% of the fish in 10% of the water. December through March is PRIME TIME CHANNEL CAT TIME!!!!!

Summer sucks IMO. Contrary the popular belief.

I always find them with my Sonar before i try to find them with bait and before I go looking with sonar I’ve narrowed down locations based on conditions, anticipated mood, forage, etc etc.

Just when you think you’ve got the figured out they’ll prove you stupid.

Spots don’t mean di××
    Fish have tails, not mortgages. They move. A lot!

Do some legit homework… Combine with lots of hours figuring them out on the water.

You can learn a lot from catching nothing.

Been fishing cats for 12 years, I still feel like a noob because i learn so much about them each year.

At one point I spent 16 hours questioning Brad, poor guy! Two guide trips and I brought someone else along both trips, so they could reel in fish and I could question the pro.

Hells bells i was catching them Sunday in 6fow next to a leaf line chasing 12″ shad, in backwaters using a blade bait. Never done that before.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

December through March is PRIME TIME CHANNEL CAT TIME!!!!!

You think their fight is even half of what it is during summer? That’s the most fun for me, not saying they don’t fight in cold water but never seemed close to me.

Good reminder on Brad’s book, been meaning to order that for awhile now.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You think their fight is even half of what it is during summer? That’s the most fun for me, not saying they don’t fight in cold water but never seemed close to me.

I dunno about your experiences… But I’ll bet my worst day in the winter was better than your best day in the summer.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Good reminder on Brad’s book, been meaning to order that for awhile now.

Yes you should!
    Anyone seriously into fishing (anything) should read his books. Catfish on cover, but concepts cover all fish, especially walleye.

Attachments:
    1. 28138.jpeg

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Was out on pool 4 this past Sunday, learn to fish the conditions and you will be successful.

I didn’t check the river flow or height before the trip and was a little surprised by the conditions. Luckily high fast water is a pretty easy adjustment, move to the edges. That eliminates about 90% of the water right away, then use your electronics and eyes to break down the rest.

Invest in good electronics and learn to use them. After making the conditions adjustment, we had action within 5 minutes of each spot we setup on.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I dunno about your experiences… But I’ll bet my worst day in the winter was better than your best day in the summer.

Dont think I’d ever try to compare your skillset with mine in that regards, simply was stating the actual fight of these fish, the tug tug part, just isn’t what it is in warm water.

jake47
    WI

#2 read good times in catfish country

Did you mean “Life and Times in Catfish Country” by In-Fisherman? I keep a “to-read” book list of topics that I may devote time to in the future so I want to make sure I get this right coming from an expert such as yourself.

catnip
    south metro

Iv had nhamm’s and Ben’s luck this year. It sucks but still better than watching tv or working. Ben i would take you out but im afraid you would just have the same experience just in a different boat. The only cats i caught this year were with guide lol.

wildbeaver
    Inactive

Flathead bite has been pretty hot lately.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I caught quite a few by the dam this summer. Channels, couple decent ones. Just casting jig/plastics from shore.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.