chasing cats

• neilyo
    Participant

hit pool 9 yesterday looking for some channel cats. the wind was mighty so i had to stay in the back waters. no cats tho. any spots been producing in pool 9. (i tried the winneshike slough and nothing.) and what depth.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I haven’t fished there in a while but have had a lot of luck there in years past. Find yourself 10-15 feet of water with wood nearby. there is a little cut half a mile up stream from the bridge on your left that has some trees in it. There is 15 feet of water right next to the south bank. Try that spot for sure. go slow in there. I once pulled 25 cats out of there as fast as I could put baits down.

neilyo
    Participant

thanks for the advice. i fished the hole on the left side that drops to about 25 feet last week. caught a 6 lb channel there. but that was the only one. will have to try south a little bit by the down trees. (i think that where you are talking)

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

You’ll find those deeper holes are resting areas for flathead cats and they don’t like other fish so much and eat them or chase them out. Put a blue gill or two down in those places and you’ll see what I mean. You really want 10-15 feet of water, moderate current, and wood for the channels in that slough. And keep in mind you are trying for fish during the mayfly hatches and they are full then.

neilyo
    Participant

thanks again Whiskerkev. i will put a couple bluegills down there and see what happens. there are alot of sheephead in that deeper hole. will flatheads let them hang around? ever had any luck for flatheads on the main channel bend where desoto bay meets the main channel?

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I have had some luck right there by the sewer plant, bring extra tackle. There is a ton of wood there and you’ll lose some rigs. I know a guy that is in the hall of fame up in Hayward for a fish caught at that bend. It is one of the few places on the main channel you can fish without too much barge traffic getting in your way. You’ll find sheepies in flathead holes but rarely channel cats.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.