Daytime channels with low flow?

• uhlee1
    Participant
    Dav. IA

A friend of mine bribed me to enter a catfish tournament on pool 16 with him in the morning. I am not the avid catfisherman but have landed two nice flats this year one 18 and one 20. I really have no clue as to where to find them right now. Walleyes I know right were to go with very low flow. My game plan is to fish what current I can find shallow till 9:00 and then start working deeper areas.(wingdams/wood). Moving alot. I know a few spots that go 25+ deep with good cover with access to good shallow areas close. I am not asking for any secret spots, just kind of a brief review, sort of speak, of when/where(shallow/deep) and what sort of areas they might be using this time of year. A little early to seak out wintering holes I am assuming? and the spawn is long gone. Tourney starts at 7 and goes till 3. My fear is that it will be a repeat of the only other tourney I have entered years ago when we only boated one dink and didn’t even go to weigh in.
    I probably should not have mentioned I am a walleye guy but at least its not Bass! But what the heck it will be fun regardless!

Thanks for the confidence boost in advance!

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

They can be anywhere. Find the bait find the fish. If they are there they will bite within a few minutes. Stick and move.

uhlee1
    Participant
    Dav. IA

Stick and move sounds like the plan. It should be a fun day. The water has hopefully cleaned up and the weather looks great! Thanks

uhlee1
    Participant
    Dav. IA

Well we ended up 30th out of 42 boats. caught 2 fish over the 15″ limit. totaled 3.24lbs. Sad day for us but we gave it our best. Most of the boats that did well ran down river quite a ways while we stayed local.
    Oh well I didn’t expect a whole lot given I had such short notice and no time to pre-fish. Still fun and I might consider doing it again next season. Thanks for the advice guys!!

I should have just trolled cranks and dragged jigs and crawlers like I would for walleye. I might have got lucky a third time this year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.