Catfishing advise.

• HommeDeNord
    Participant
    Independence, Iowa.

Was going to head to pool 9 or ten for a few days, and was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advise on how to catch a few channel cats for eating. Not looking to catch huge cats, just some good eaters. Honestly I just dont know how to go about it. What bait to use and or locations I should look for. Am I better off at night, or day? Thank you for any help. Just wanna have a bit of fun, and eat a few cats. Thanks again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stop by your local bait shop that carries Secret Seven or Sonny’s stink bait.

…and here’s how to use it<<<

The post after the report goes into rigging ect.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Batman09
    Participant
    Michigan

doesn’t hurt to toss a tight-line out with just a big egg sinker and a night crawler.

serts
    Participant
    NW Illinois

Was out on pool 12 on Sunday and [picked up some nice eating size cat, [1 -2 pounds] on crawlers. Fished with egg sinker and spilt shot about 10 inches above hook. Found the most fish on sharp drop off on the main channel, sand bottom seemed to produce the best. Good luck!

HommeDeNord
    Participant
    Independence, Iowa.

Thank you. I was told night crawlers will catch more drum than catfish. And was a bit confused, and wondering if i needed to catch some smaller bullheads. Can cacth plenty of them off the west side penensula at volga lake on worms. Thanks all. Excited to get out soon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

HommeDeNord, sheepies do love worms! I have caught a few…very few sheep on stink bait, couple carp too. Mostly eating size channels…and a few larger ones.

Bullheads are good for flatheads…although never say never as I have caught a couple channels on bullies this year.

Size? In this case size really doesn’t matter…unless the hook weighs the bullhead to the bottom. I had a guy bring some 3/4 to 1 pound bullies out flatheading. One went to a snag, one went to an 11 pounder and 2 went to two twenty pounders. Since I’m from MN, the largest bh I can use is 7 inches, I try to stay in the 5 to 7 inch range and they work well for all size of flatheads.

Good luck!

PS If you would like another 200 opinions, go to the catfish/sturgeon forum in the Species Specific forums. Lots of hard core cat guys are noodling there.

perch_44
    Participant
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

noodling there.

when are you starting your Noodlin’ Adventures?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The day the Game Warden is one step ahead of you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.