cattin…..

• mavzer
    Hager City, WI

so has anyone been out cattin?? lately!! I have been chasin the fork tails around but can get any of those flatheads to nibble…… anyone have any suggestions on where there holding?

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

mavzer, I plan on trying the Wisconsin River this weekend. We usually use dip bait and catch Channels but I think I’m going to take your advice and bring some cut bait along. Can you cut the suckers up before hand or should you cut them immediately before baiting? I don’t understand why alot of people on this board are down on dip baits. I realize your not going to catch a 40 pound flathead on dip baits but alot of channel catfish in the 3 to 10 pound range can be caught. We normally don’t have a problem with alot of small catfish caught. I guess I’m just concerned that alot of people reading this board will think you can’t catch a respectable fish with dip bait.

InnerCityFishing
    Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.

Hey Birdman, I would say the fresher the cut bait the better. We always go out with a bunch of live suckers and when needed we’ll cut one up. It seems like the piece left on the cutting board for a while never works quite as well. Good Luck -Rick

http://www.innercityfishing.com

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I like to cut them up as I go But I realize that, this can sometimes be a hassle,,,, the most important ingredient in using cut baite is to keep it fresh,,,, they can get south of cheese, pretty fast in warm weather, so bring some ice….. hae fun this weekend, Birdman and tell us how you did…..

By the way wha6t part of the wisconsin are you going to hit!!

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

mavzer, I’m going to try the Woodman area. I like to fish the railroad trestles. You can walk out there and catch walleye,catfish, smallies, northern, and even crappies and bluegills. It’s tough to decide what to pack in, you can only carry so many poles and tackle.

DONOTDELETE

its about time you get busy son our river came up 3 ft we caught 80 cats last nite they just arent big bigest one 8lb mountainman

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

well, mountian man… I hope your arm aint sore form jerkin all the cat’s,, when you come up here make sure your rested so we can wrestle with some big flat’s…. save some of them cat’s you cought we will need some nice live baite!!! just kiddin

DONOTDELETE

havent heard anything from you mike,is fishin that good?according to the message board doesn’t look like anyones tearing them up.they should get ready to start have a good week, mountainman

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I have been on the river finding some nice areas for flat’s, I tried to email your uncles but it failed….. I will send you the e-mail and then you can forward it to them>>>> let me know if anything develops……

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Was out today with the family. One small flathead and four or five channels under five lbs. We did catch a 27 lb sturgeon though which was a hoot!! We were on pool three. We even had the camera along so I can show you I aint fibbin. Get those flatsies figured out! I’m getting anxious!

Uncles12

mavzer…….mountainmans uncles are

Uncles#1-2 on FTR and

[email protected]

we got the fishin’ stuff in the dinin’ room…..old lady havin’ a fit

gsman36

dirk i am new to cattin adn wondering when you talk about pools are you fishing the miss. river or wsiconsin? Where is pool 3 located? are there any cats being caught during the day or all at night? any help is helpful. i was out this past wekend but didnt get even a nibble.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Pool three is located from the Hastings dam down to the Redwing dam. I was fishing downsteam from Prescott. The tailrace area below the dam (any dam) can hold cats all year long. Check out the huge log jam under the Hastings bridge. That has got to be holding some cats. Be careful, I think there is a wing dam just in front of it. Night time is the right time for cats but they will bite during the day to. Eye-guide and myself got into some real nice flatheads during late afternoon – evening last August on pool three. I should say he caught em and I hoisted the net! Eye-guide will be able to help us with the cat stuff as soon as he gets back from Germany and quits thinking walleyes!! PS – the public access in Hastings is closed for the summer….big bummer….Prescott or Hubs are two options that will cost about 7$.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.