Schooling Catfish?

• urbanrivers
    Participant

I’m not a catfish guy, those I catch are by accident fishing for other species. Today though I found what seemed like a school of them. I was fishing below lock 1 and caught a half dozen channels, the smallest being just over 4 pounds and the largest 7lbs 1oz. They were all caught within 10 yards of each other. Is it common for them to school like that?

Gianni
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I don’t know that they purposely school up like walleyes or perch, but typically there are more than 1 cat in a good fishing spot. I think it’s more because they all react very similairly in changing water conditions; in rivers the fluctuations probably drive them to the same areas more frequently.

I’ve heard that if you find a wintering hole in a river, there can be thousands of them stacked like cordwood on the bottom.

BlackCat
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Channels seem to school together at times. Flatheads are completely different. Usually if you can catch one channel, you can catch a few more…….
    Urban, you went by hidden falls? We should go fishin sometime…….

Berddog
    Participant

Is Hidden Falls open? Seems open one day, closed the next. Any info appreciated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.