Flathead questions

• DONOTDELETE

I have a few questions about Flathead fishing. I have been out in pool 4 by Red wing and done well. I have now moved to Winona Pool 5 and wondered a few things. When we have been out the best places have been timber snags, now while I am searching spots around here do the best ones have cuts to the main channel? On the main channel with logs and timber jams, Off the main channel(s) in slack water with timber? Creek outlets to the river with timber? What depth of water should I be looking for? In my area there are a multitude of possibilities and I am trying to make the wisest chioces.

What water temps are the most condusive to catchen Flatheads?

Any other tips or info on flatheads would be appreciated.

If you are in the Winona area and want to try for some Flatheads contact me I am willing and somewhat able to give it a go!

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

All of those places you mentioned could hold flats…..My luck has been in shallower water during this time of year…..but anywhere with alot of structure and/or baitfish. When the water hits 70 degrees, grab your fishin’ pole. Thats when the cats come out….. Try bullheads for bait…..thats my tip of the year, just snip the stingers off with a plyers…….and i always have luck at dusk and dawn. Hope this helps you!

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

blackcat, what area of the mississippi do you fish? (i’m not familiar with the pool locations, so nearest to what city? Do you ever fish the Minnesota or St. Croix for flatheads? thanks.

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

I fish the Mississippi and the Minnesota by St. Paul. I live a 8 blocks from lock & dam #1. I havent had the chance to fish the St. Croix yet, but i have a trip to William O’brien on the calander. Where do you fish?

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

went down to iowa last weekend but the weather was bad (40 degrees and rain). last year my brother and i tried the st. croix and the mississippi in winona, where i caught a 7 pound channel but no flatheads. last night the coon rapids dam was producing many small channel cats, so they’re starting to bite. might have to try the miss. south of the cities.

CroixRiverRat
    n. st. paul,mn

I fish the croix for cats about a dozen or so times a year(when the eyes aren’t biting) and have done really good. Biggest one last year was 44lbs. on a live sucker. they seem to have a preference for live instead of dead.(channels will eat anything)some nites you might not catch anything, then go back to the same area the next night and catch 6 out of one spot.good luck and FISH ON!!!!

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Rhino, I live in Fountain City and i am out on the river alot. I could show you alot of spots good for cats and everyother fish that swims in the mighty miss. E-mail me if interested. [email protected]

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Dodgeboy,

I would be VERY interesed in doing some fishing. I have tried your hotmail with no luck. If you would like to contact me please email me at [email protected]

Thanks Haywood

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.