Wisconsin River Flatheads

• birdman
    Participant
    Lancaster, WI

On June 9th my son and I plan on fishing a cat tournament on the Wisconsin River. We plan on starting about 2 hours before sunrise. Could anyone advise me on what type of structure flatheads could be found at? We plan on using chubs for bait.

mavzer
    Participant
    Hager City, WI

Log jam holes, cutbanks, rock ledges asociated with boulders, dams….. logjams, logjams , logjams

birdman
    Participant
    Lancaster, WI

Thanks for the info, two years ago we won this tournament catching channels fishing in front of snags and logjams. Our total weight though wasn’t all that impressive. I wasn’t sure if flatheads hung out in the same places as the channel catfish do. There are alot of sandbars on the main channel of the Wisconsin, would fishing for flatheads off these be a waste of my time?

mavzer
    Participant
    Hager City, WI

no, it seems to be that if you find a great flathead hole a lot of times you won’t find any smaller cats especially channels….. I also think that fishing the flats, runs, sandbars up river from the grood holes produces well,,,, they live in the holes the hunt on the flats and runs,,,,,,

rsunbehaun
    Participant

those are all the right places to look and live bait is the best bait also . if you are going for a lots of pounds you should go for channels . there is more of them and they are easier to ketch . in my guiding business the big flat heads are easier to ketch at night .good luck and have fun ..umpie @wis river guide service

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.