Ever fish a lake with stink bait?

• Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

A buddy and I put 100 pounds of channel cats in the boat last night including this chunky 22lber. Most fish we got were over 10 lbs. We had two doubles and one of them shattered my st croix rod into a bazillion peices.

audemp
    Participant
    Wi

Thats a nice channel! Where did you get it out of? Ive use stinkbait once before but caught nothing. looks like I might have to break down and buy a jar of that stuff and try it again.

hoistafish1
    Participant
    Long Prairie,MN

Looks like you had a fun night! Nice channel, bet he gave alittle tug.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

The Madison chain, Mendota in particular is over run with fat cisco fed channels. I’ve been using Sonnys exclusively right in the weeds with a surgical tube under a lit bobber. The one that broke my rod probably went 25-30 lbs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice channels!

I’ve only been able to fish with Sonny’s for a limited time..between posts and customers. I’m impressed enough to start dropping it down with my second rod.

I’ve been using the orininal Sonny’s…but you recommend blood?

What about hooks? I have the Tubie Worms….they come with about 6 lbs line…and since i’ve had a couple break offs, thinking i should replace it with larger mono.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

Blood bait is best. I use a 30lb trilene big cat shock tipet on a small treble and 10lb test main line. Most are hooked right in the lip. It is important not to let them have it too long. All fish were released in good condition. fishing in the weeds requires the hollow tubes which retain the bait for a long time. I actually had a bite on a fowled bobber where my bait couldn’t have been more than a foot deep in 15 feet of water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Secret Blood Bait Receipe…

Call Moores Bait…ask when they’ll have Sonny’s Blood formula in.

But don’t tell anyone.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve heard that those lakes hold some sumo piggies.

Thanks for sharing Whisker…

blufloyd
    Participant

Bout time to take the Premo out again I guess. Let’s see heat index 105 yep its time. BrianK, here’s the tip add forkful minced garlic and couple tablespoons lard to regular Premo tub and hang on. Works better than Sonny for me.

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Secret Blood Bait Receipe…

Call Moores Bait…ask when they’ll have Sonny’s Blood formula in.

But don’t tell anyone.

Moores carry’s Sonny’s in both the origional and blood. They have some other stink bait in a tube too.

I grabbed some the other day to try after Brian kept sending me picture mail standing on the dock. We have some finicky channels up here right now and I didnt manage a nibble on the blood stink bait, and a few bites on cut bait.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m telling ya…there maybe something to this…crap!

FW landed a solid 6 pounder this morning. No scale, no camera (batteries).

We just went out to try it again…but it was too hot. I have to talk Deano into getting some umbrellas on the docks. That way the ice on my unbrella drinks don’t melt so fast.

larry_haugh
    Participant
    MN

I saw a channel caught on Sonnys Blood in my boat last night. With many other bites on it as well.
    first time for me.
    thanks
    Larry

hanson
    Participant

Brian-

How about a side-by-side test off the dock?

Stink Bait vs. Fresh Cut Sucker
    You can fish with 2 rods so put ’em in rod holders and lets see what happens.

luke_haugland
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

Sonny’s is the best! And I don’t even catfish…

joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

You guys need looper rigs. I just use cut shad myself as it has plenty of aroma.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I have run cut bait here. Sonny’s outproduces it 5 to one. What is a looper rig? Hey Luke, I think Sonny’s comes from down in your neck of the woods. Those Iowans know their stink:) Wish they could play football and basketball so my Badgers would have better competition.

skippy783
    Participant
    Dysart, IA

Quote:

Wish they could play football and basketball so my Badgers would have better competition.

Now wait just one moment…I think you better read this article as a little reminder Iowa vs Wisconsin Now as far as basketball goes….that isn’t important

skippy783
    Participant
    Dysart, IA

And just to make sure that other team’s fans don’t get out of line….Iowa vs Minnesota

joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

Kev, these things will let you throw more aweful goo in the river than you ever dreamed possible. They hold enough that you could squish one in the tub, then squish it in a tight fist and have enough smushed through your fingers to bait up 4 rubber worm thingies. They hold a decent amount when wet too.

web page

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Perfect Gar bait!

joshbjork
    Participant
    Center of Iowa

Quote:

Perfect Gar bait!

Brian, you need some. I saw those pictures.

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

Wish it was summer.

whiskeysour
    Participant
    4 miles from Pool 9

Brian, ever use Junnies Cat tracker Bait? It’s made in Dubuque. I’m a cheesemaker and if we have a vat go bad we sell the bad cheese to them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Believe it or not, most all cheese baits are made by one manufacturer out of Dubuque…and I just can’t recall their name at the moment.

They make them to each brands specs and label it.

I don’t recall if I’ve used it or not. Smell good does it?

whiskeysour
    Participant
    4 miles from Pool 9

We make goat milk cheese here. So if you ever smelled an old billy…… No our cheese is real good, not much goaty tatse at all. But the guy said our goat cheese made some of the best bait he’s ever produced.

Whiskerkev
    Participant
    Madison

I haven’t been in here in a while. Since then, I’ve fine tuned my presentation a bit. I now use 20lb PP and I don’t loose too many fish anymore. I went to medium heavy 6 ft ugly sticks and I don’t break rods anymore. April is prime time around here for the prespawn bite. Sonny’s is still my choice of prepared bait until something works better.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.