New Rod

• jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Looking at this rod from Cabelas for those time when a fish offshore for flats on pool 2.

Question for you guys who do a lot of off shore angling for cats.

Is this a decent set up? (See link)

What length would you get?

Finally, what would you run for line?

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998/IB304B?format=search

Plan on doing a little more cattin this year!

Thanks,

J.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Well Jon,

I think the style of reel you choose comes down to your personal preference. I have both styles for big fish and they both work just fine. The rod length isn’t a real big issue either. I enjoy the extra control of a longer rod and it would seem to me that anytime you can get out there a little further, your odds increase. But if you’re along side a deep hole, you may not need a longer rod. I use 8-8.5 footers myself but find myself wanting something longer. Tell you what, buy the 10′ and if you don’t like it, I’ll trade you for my 8ft.!!! LOL! In the event you hook into a BIG LUNKER, I would also lean toward the heavier action rod. For line, I see Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain, and Galyans all have lines designed specifically for catfishing. Outside of those, I’d go with a strong XT style mono or a super line just in case the fish run you over or into any type of structure.

That’s my 2 cents of input, hope it helps you some!

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m leaning towards the open face spinning with the 10 foot rod. I guess if it’s too long, I could cut off a couple feet and add a new tip!!

J.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

NO, no, no……………………don’t modify! TRADE I tell you, TRADE!!!! LOL! I’ve got a 12-30lb. cattin’ rod with an open face and all the same construction as what you’re looking at. It’s nice, but I wish I had longer.

Hey, when are you going out cattin’ next?? I’m almost positive that I won’t be able to join you but how’d you like to try my outfit out before you buy, and let the experience help you decide which length you’d prefer? I won’t need it until at least July so it’s just sitting there, waiting for someone to use it!!! LMK and I’ll run her out to ya sometime soon.

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks for the offer. I hope to be ready to go by July too. That’s when the consistent bite starts going on pool 2. Until then, it’s walleyes!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.