New dates for Sturgeon Excursion

• catdadmn
    Inactive
    Southeast minnesota

HI Everyone
    Brian and I just realized the dates we had picked were Easter Weekend. I would like to know if the following weekend would work. Leaving metro area on Friday 21st. People could leave whenever it is convenient for them. Please let us know if these dates will work for all of you who had already committed

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That would work for me and this way we won’t have to torque off the family so much to attend. I’m in.

blufloyd

Except for the heartbreak of spending my birthday crappie fishing not sturgeon purging I guess it will work that ugly tax mess will be over too.

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Maybe I’ll just go anyway to see what you missed the week before. Ya I should still be in just might be hard talking the wife into three weekends in a row. Eye’s, Sturgeons, Sturgeons,

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well… Easter kinda tossed a Bass into the picture on this!

Disclaimer:

Our little outing on the Rainy River is not sponsored by anyone or any group. The purpose of this post is to save anglers some money and a chance to fish for big fish with old and new friends. To avoid DNR permits and insurance costs, please do not post wagering, kitties, awards or pots in this thread. This is simply a fishing trip.

OK, enough with the disclaimer stuff!

Since our “list” seemed to generate enough interest, the accomadations are listed below.

Please use this thread to find rides and open boat seats.

DATE:

Friday, April 21st 2006

Accomadtions:

Wigwam Resort

3502 Four Mile Bay Dr NW

Baudette, MN 56623

For reservations call with credit card info:

1-800-448-9260

Mention Sturgeon Excursion! $20 plus tax per night

Because the “season” is closed for walleye, this is the time resort owners generally leave and most everything in the area will be closed. The closest restaurant will be in Baudette which is 12 miles away. Since the cabins have full kitchens, you might want to bring along your meals. Pictures of Sturgeon are not very filling…I’ve been told.

There bar will be open on Saturday night for anyone that would like to share their “One That Got Away” stories.

As Catdadmn stated above, a number of us will be leaving the Mpls/St Paul metro area Friday morning. The drive runs about 6 hours depending on the size of your bladder and if your driver is willing to stop.

Departure dates can vary and if you would like to stay longer than Monday, please let the resort know when you make reservations.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just a little more info:

The gift/off sale store will be open, in case you want to take home a little something for the wife….

At this time there is one cabin that sleeps 9, one that sleeps 8 and a number of cabins that sleep 6 available.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Sure.. make everyone wait LONGER.

Is it April yet?

I hope mother nature works with us all for this trip.. I’m NOT bringing the ice auger!

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Im in and bring jr CA as well he can handle Stu’s cats on the red, he wants to try these out as well

CA

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

we will be catching a lot of eelpout

Thanks for sharing this Chris! I’ll know to bring along A LOT of extra hooks for when I cut my line!

Actually, I’ve never seen one up close and personal before……ummm can’t be any worse that Lutifisk! (with enough beer!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I might be up for this. Do you think we might be able to still get out on Red lake at that time? Would be fun to tangle with some crappies also.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Mike, that would be pushing it for Red Lake. I would not plan on ice at that time. You can always hope, but if there was ice yet, you would need a boat to get out to it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mike! That would be great if you could make it! I haven’t seen your rod bend in a while!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mr. Catdadmn, what were the hook sizes that you used? I’m getting my Christmas order ready from The Catfish Connection.

I going to do it this year! Already was spooled by HOF with 20 lb mono on my 6500…but I’m going all out to be “OPEN MINDED” and spool a 7000 with Big Game. Just not sure if I should go with 20 or 30 lbs plastic…er, um, Mono.

(Got a chuckle out of you didn’t I Tim? )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Attached is a general map to Wigwam.

Sounds like the 11 and 8 man cabin are booked. Might want to make your reservations early as they were talking about being able to handle 30 total.

I’m just amazed at the interest in fishing for sturgeon, the dinosaur of the rivers. But then again, maybe Catdadmn is going up for the pout!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I’ll be sleeping in my van if need be! I am not going to pass up the opportunity to catch really big, ugly fish after a long boring winter.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

I’m just amazed at the interest in fishing for sturgeon, the dinosaur of the rivers. But then again, maybe Catdadmn is going up for the pout!

Sturgeon or pout? I’m not ashamed to hook into some grumpy ol pout. Brain I could cook some up for dinner if you boys are hungry. ” The poor mans lobster” GOOOOOOD STUFF!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I will bring my beer batter! I have driven around Mille Lacs looking for partially frozen candidates myself. As long as they didn’t have yellow snow all over them! If you can partially freeze them, the electric knife takes care of them really fast and cleanly.
    They are a freshwater cod. As you all know, cod are great eating!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Think I’ll stick with my spam and onions…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I thought I would re post Catdadmn’s info here.

Quote:

HEy guys thought I would help Brian out with some of these questions. By the way I will be there! We will be fishing the Minnesota side of the river. You can buy the canada license but I have found no need for it in the past 5 years. Heavy bass equipment will do but muskie / cat stuff will help you land these fish a little quicker. An average day will be 20-30 fish per boat with most of them running in the 40-50 inch range. The season is catch and release only. Terminal tackle is not quite what you would expect. I like small hooks made of very strong wire. 2/0 is as large as I go. I will try to find the model numbers of some I use to post them for you. 1-3 oz weights will be plenty. These fish are quite easy to catch so dont worry about being a sturgeon expert. If you have more question please let Brian or myself know and we will answer them asap. Thanks Chris

——————–
    “Cross their eyes”
    Chris ” Catdad” Winchester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just an FYI~

I spoke with the gal at Wigwam last night. 19 of the 30 beds are taken and it’s not even Christmas yet!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I know Chris Tucker and Steve Dezurik are “in” for this and I’m leaning on Dustin Stewart. He should be able to give me a yes or no in a couple days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

WOW! Four Walleye guys!

I’m thinking we should give the sturgeon a chance and have you guys fish with ….fly rods…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

James, when you talk to Dustin…let him know that we’ll be having a short seminar on how to hold big fish…so he’s not to worry.

“I don’t care if you ARE Dustin, that was funny”.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

WOW! Four Walleye guys!

I’m thinking we should give the sturgeon a chance and have you guys fish with ….fly rods…

Deal. I’m willing to commit to fishing with “flyrods only” for the entire trip. I’m an ex-trout & salmon guy from way back and have access to a 9 & 10 weight long rod. Reels big enough to handle the needed backing to land the biggest of sturgeon.

I used to be able to really reach out with a fly rod. I bet I can double haul a 2/0 hook and sinker a country mile… as long as I remember to drop the tip to keep the sinker from shearing off the top of my rod that is… lol

So there it is. I’m in and sticking to the flyrod for the duration.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Umm James? Make sure you supply the rest of your group with…ummm helmets.

I have Advil.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ha.

Obviously you’ve not been around DeeZee and I when we get together.

We have beer helmets. So you can keep your advil. And your distance… lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just back from my first “Canadian as a Second Language” lesson from Pickeral Boy.

My first one hour lession covered the most important phrase in meeting a Canadian.

“I’ll have a beer, Eh!”

For all u’s that can’t understand Canadian, that means “Hello”.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I know one canadian expression:

“She’s all fished ooot”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I know one canadian expression:

“She’s all fished ooot”.

Rootski! I know what that means too! We should keep bar talk in the bars…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Brian, maybe you might need to borrow some of my pain killers if you are going to be near James and those darn fly rods with heavy weights slinging back and forth.

Remember this four letter word: Duck, and I mean DUCK!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.