The wife maybe hanging up the no rolls…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Edit: From July 2005

I was looking forward to getting out with favorite wife #1 tonight for a little moonlite…nook…er catfishing. We left the house early to do some checking around for newer cat waters.

Everything was going good…too good for the 4th of July. No problems/wait at the launch..perfect positioning of the boat…everything was just great until….

Favorite wife #1 stands up and grabs hold of my shirt like she just saw the devil….(granted I know she doesn’t like bats or the dark….but since it was light out…the bats hadn’t made an apperance yet…)

The words that came out of her mouth were going to change the course of the evening…..

“Bbbbbrrrrrriaaaaaannn? There’s a snake on my side of the boat”…came feably to my ears.

In trying to get her to let go of me, I took a step forward which allowed her enough room to stand up on the back seat of the boat…but she was still hanging on. Finally I told her that if she doesn’t let go…it might come in the boat…to which I was immedieatly released.

Sure nuff, about a 2 foot long Northern Water Snake figured he could rest in the slack water next to the boat. With a little splashing of the water, he was on his merry way…although the damage was done.

After a little discussion I thought it best that we call it a night. She did sit down in a chair once the boat started to move out of the aree….

I should find out Tuesday how much damage was done…

As we were leaving the area, she asked me if it would have come in the boat, would I have shot it with my gun (.44)…I explained that shooting a gun at the floor in a boat might not be a good idea…I think she wasn’t back in her skin yet!

(PS althought the background was retouched… to protect the snake… this photo wasn’t posed for)

shew
    Participant
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Brian boy I need to get that rubber snake back ASAP my wife is talking about going fishing this week with me. that is too funny my wife would have been standing on my head if she saw anything like that. Good luck getting her back out.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Reminds me of an episode of a Roland Martin show I once saw. Roland had a “big old Bass” wrapped around some logs in about 4 feet of water. He jumped in to get the fish and after he was groping around for a while he asked his partner if there were any snakes in that lake. The other guy replied “No, the Gators got them all”. Old Roland came shooting up out of the water like a Polaris missle and landed right in the front of the boat. You wouldn’t think a big guy could move like that

Rootski

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Well Brian, taking her to a spot where there are snakes means no more catfishin for you at night. Back to only daylight nook, I mean catin now.
    Thanks, Bill

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

I think that is the 1st I have ever heard of a water type snake in Minnesota.. didnt know we had them.. and I have been on my fair share of water.

I have seen the occasional gardner snake, and a bull snake that ended up int he water.. but never an actual water snake.

That is funny.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

That is funny.

I wish my wife thought so….

Bill? Do you know where I can get a deal on sunscreen?

FYI~

Northern Water Snake
    Nerodia sipedon

by Jeff LeClere

Status

No status assigned in Minnesota

Description

Northern water snakes are one of the larger medium-sized Minnesota snakes. They range in length from 24 to 55 inches and may be quite heavy bodied as adults. There are so many pattern and color variations in certain populations, and in individual northern water snakes, that to list them all is not feasible for the length of this account. Generally, they have light brown or reddish markings on a brown or grayish ground color. The markings are bands on the neck and become blotches on the back. There are smaller alternating spots on the sides and the ones closest to the ventral scales have a tendency to be red. The tail is ringed in the same color as the dorsal markings. The belly is white with brown or red half-moon shaped markings. These markings are sparse or absent anteriorly and become much more numerous posteriorly. Sometimes there is a yellow, orange, or pink stripe running longitudinally down the center of the vent. The crescent shaped markings may still be present with this stripe, but if they are not, there may be very small gray or brown dots scattered randomly about the belly. Larger adults may be a solid brown or black when they are dry. Newborn northern water snakes have a gray or very light brown ground color with striking black or dark brown bands and blotches. The crescents on the belly usually have no red but are solid black or brown instead. Subadults are quite reddish in overall appearance.

Subspecies

Nerodia sipedon has three subspecies; the northern water snake, N. s. sipedon, the Carolina water snake, N. s. insularum, and the Lake Erie water snake, N. s. williamangelsi. Only the northern water snake, N. s. sipedon, occurs in Minnesota.

Range

Being a snake of the water, it is not surprising to find that this snake follows the Mississippi and St. Croix River systems in Minnesota. A few records indicate that northern water snakes are found centrally in the state via the Minnesota River. They are most numerous in the Mississippi River valley in southeastern Minnesota. They range as far north as Pine County along the St. Croix River (Oldfield and Moriarty 1994). They are relatively sparse in the Minnesota River as habitat destruction has taken its toll on these populations.

Habitat

The northern water snake is, as its name implies, a snake of the water. Ponds, marshes, streams, river backwaters, and lakes provide the preferred habitat for this serpent. Thick vegetation along the banks with small shrubs and trees afford basking opportunities that are important for this species.

Habits

This snake is diurnal, even during hot weather. It may be observed basking upon branches, shrubs, tree roots, and along the banks of waterways, often in large numbers on a favorite basking spot. Young and newborn water snakes may be found hiding beneath logs or flat rocks close to water. They are wary and will slip off their basking perch at any sign of danger. Some may swim with their heads above water to the other side of the bank or swim back to the shore in a semi-circle. Others will dive to the bottom and anchor themselves to logs, branches, rocks, or other debris. Most will resurface within five minutes, but they are capable of remaining submerged for an hour and a half (Ferguson and Thornton, 1984)! If cornered, they will flatten their jaws and bodies making themselves look like ribbons. They will strike and bite viciously and repeatedly. If picked up, they will release musk and fecal matter, and in very nervous specimens, regurgitating any recently eaten meal. Even after being held for some time, they will not miss an opportunity to bite, and their saliva contains anticoagulant properties that make the lacerations bleed profusely. The treatment, however, is only soap and water. These are nonvenomous snakes! The famous, and venomous cottonmouth (or water moccasin), Agkistrodon piscivorus, is not found in Minnesota or Iowa. The farthest north cottonmouths have been recorded is central Missouri.

Northern water snakes are active from April to October, spending their winters in rock crevices they have migrated to. There are often other species of snakes hibernating with them. Neonates of this species will often hibernate communally and in relatively large numbers when compared to the adults. Some may hibernate near their summer sites if suitable dens such as burrows, large rocks, bridges, or dams exist. They emerge in spring and migrate back to their summer sites close to water. This is where copulation takes place. Many males may court one female at the same time. The females are usually quite a bit larger than the males. The pair usually will select a basking perch such as a shrub or branch overhanging water for copulation. Matings have been observed on the banks or even in the water, however. During breeding, both snakes may make undulating movements with their bodies and the pair may remain “locked up” for an hour or more.

Young are born alive in late June into August. They are roughly 6 – 10 inches at birth and are pugnacious like the adults. Five to sixty young may be produced in a single litter or a couple litters a few days apart and there is a fantastic account of 99 young born in a litter to one female.

Food

Northern water snakes are active hunters and may hunt both day and night. They feed on a wide variety of animals associated with water. Fish, amphibians, baby turtles, young snakes, worms, leeches, insects, crayfish, and mammals are consumed. A wider variety of prey is utilized at higher temperatures. They eat small meals every day or every other day and hunt by patrolling the water next to the shore for food. They sometimes swim through a school of small fish with their mouths wide open and swallow anything they can catch or herd fish into a shallow area of water and then create a barrier with a loose coil of its body. These snakes are not constrictors and simply swallow prey alive.

fisher sherry
    Participant
    Minneapolis

Oh no! Poor Deb! Has she recovered this morning, Brian?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well…she said she had nightmares…and a headache this morning…I don’t think I’m going to bright it up yet….

When I lost Dave’s signal last night, I was to ask you if you wanted to switch fishing locations with her…that was before the serpent….

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

There was no snake was there…..she caught you clonking didn’t she

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No…she said it was a LITTLE snake…

You started it!

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

She will go back out.. but be a little paranoid for a while…

I dont think she will go for hitting the river in a Jon Boat any time soon… If you are lucky, you wont be in the market for a 26′ Bayliner to get her on the water!

I have a gas charged(not Co2) large diameter BB pistol here that might make her feel a little better if she was armed in the future.. and it wont shoot holes in your boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

DAVE!!!!!! Are you NUTS! Give HER a GUN!!!

I would be a Dead Man Typing!

Bayliner…. Now that there is funny…

fisher sherry
    Participant
    Minneapolis

Brian… just one thing, your poor wife is scared out of her wits and what do you do? Take her picture!?!?

At least when she fishes with US there aren’t any snakes. Raccoons and rabbits maybe… big scary bugs… a few bats… But no snakes!! (yet )

david_scott
    Participant
    Twin Cities

Nuts? .. Yes, I probably am..

But the BB gun is cheaper than the Bayliner if it gives her enough security to go fishing with you…

I could hear that air pistol sounding off now every time a bat goes by in the middle of the night.. I think the clip only holds about 30 rounds so you wont have to hide on the bottom of the boat for long…

Where you would have to worry is knowing your luck.. she would *wing* a bat and it would come crashing down into the boat and start flopping all over the place… I could see the picture now of you and Deb clinging onto the cottonwood tree after she drug you both out of the boat trying to evade a wounded bat… she would still have that BB gun in hand in a ready position until rescued.

chris-tuckner
    Participant
    Hastings/Isle MN

This may take a few joint sessions with Dr. Tuck.
    My rates are cheap, and may be covered by your insurance.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

This may take a few joint sessions with Dr. Tuck

No thanks…I already know how to clonk…

Did I say THAT out loud!

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I could hear that air pistol sounding off now every time a bat goes by in the middle of the night.. I think the clip only holds about 30 rounds so you wont have to hide on the bottom of the boat for long…

Its all fun and games till someone looses an eye

bret_clark
    Participant
    Sparta, WI

No thanks…I already know how to clonk…

Did I say THAT out loud!

I think this has been out of the bag for a week now

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So Bret…what are you saying? I should “zip” it?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To follow up..I did get the FW out the next year in 2006 but made me promise to take her back to the landing if we saw a snake.
    Seldom do I see one so it was a sure bet in my mind.

The anchor did not touch bottom and she said “There’s a SNAKE”! Sure nuff about 75′ away some type of snake fell off a log and the trip was over.

She felt bad for me and said “just drop me off and I’ll wait in the truck until you’re done fishing tonight”. I had a better plan. We were at the Prescot landing and I told her to drive the 20 minutes home and I’ll call her when I was done fishing. Good plan, but I had to load up the boat, fuel up and then relaunch to feel safe to make the trip again.

11:30 comes around. I had a fish or two and thought I would be nice and let her get some sleep so I made the phone call.

Prescot has a very nice launching area with lights and a nice dock. So when I arrived she backed the trailer into the water and then came out of the truck to latch me up, but I had to show her all the minnows around the dock first. She wasn’t impressed and waited on the passenger side of the truck. Loaded up and then we had a smoke by the passenger door.

While standing there I looked just past the dock that she just came off of… yup, we both saw it at the same time and sure enough there was ANOTHER snake!

This is when I started calling her the “Snake Whisperer”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

July 8th 2018, Wi Back Channel Ramp

Well the water was a little high and we would have to walk across 5 feet of water to get to the only dock open. I asked if she would be ok with that or should we go to the Bay Point launch in Red Wing.
    No, I can do that she respond.

So she parks the rig and I’m waiting for her while holding the boat on the dock. She almost gets to the water, stops and starts shaking her head. I’m wondering…but all I could see is what looked like a broken stick on the asphalt. Oh no, a snake was laying right under where my boat was just moments ago!

She gathers up all of her courage and makes it to the dock all the while that little snake is watching her I’m sure. Dang near in tears she climbs into the boat and says I’m never doing that again…that’s the closest I’ve been to a live snake.

It’s amazing to me that with the number of years I’ve been fishing I’ve only seen maybe a dozen snakes on or around the river. (not counting the rocks at the resort). Dang near everytime we go out there’s one someplace close by.

Think I’m done? Not a chance!

As I’m pulling up to the dock some 5 hours later a few boys where headed to fish under the bridge. One of them shouts “SNAKE” and I see Deb’s face turn white while she’s trying to stay in her skin. Dang thing is right smack dab in the middle of the launch area.

Alright, you hold the boat I’ll get the truck. Like I had any choice.

Never saw the snake again….until next time…

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Is the boat for sale? You can’t use it because it’s a snake attractor or are you bringing one with you everytime you take the FW fishing? whistling

Deleted
    Participant

Anyone who packs a .44 whilst catfishing…..Is someone I know I would get along with !

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

are you bringing one with you everytime you take the FW fishing?

You are a gd genius Gump!!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

It’s not snake safe in Prescott either Brian.
    I did just get some snake gaiters in the mail if you want to borrow them ) )

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180710162148317.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s where the FW’s second encounter came from.

If I try (and I don’t) I know I could trigger an asthma attack in her just by talking about the last encounter at the back channel ramp.

As busy as those ramps are, I would think they would avoid them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Like I was close enough to ID it. rotflol

I’m guessing by the size and pattern it was a fox snake but it could of been a North American Water snake or possibly a small bull.

The one out on the river that she saw first was a big ol bull.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.