MN and WI boarder regulations

• haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

Here is something I have not been able to figure out yet. I live in MN on boarder water. When I spoke to the MN and WI DNR I asked this question. Can I use sunnys as a bait for catfishing? They said no. OK then I asked What if I buy a WI out of state license? I figured if I have a WI license I have the rights and privileges to their regulations. The answer they gave was still NO. Now this makes no sense to me at all. Regardless of what I am asking to do would it not make sense to be able to have all the same rights and regulations as the WI residence when I am buying a WI license? Can anyone clear this up for me?

jon_jordan
    Participant
    St. Paul, Mn

The DNR is correct. (And consistent in the answer)

Let’s talk confusing……

If I understand the regs correctly, if you are a MN resident fishing MN/WI border waters, you must possess a MN fishing license. In other words, if you get caught fishing the Croix with a non-res WI license, (and no MN license) your busted!!

J.

haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

Thanks JonJ,

You are right lets talk CONFUSING!

ps. If I was from Nort Dekote I would be OK with the Non res WI license? WOW it this Discrimination against us Minnesotaites!

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

The way it’s stated in the book, you have to abide by the regulaions of your resident state on border waters. If you reside in neither state of the border water, you have to abide by the regulations of the license issuing state.

haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

I guess thats how it is but if I or anyone is willing to still fork out the $ for the non-res WI license you would think.

I wonder how many persons have been gooched by this?

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

So, go buy the WI license, go over to a WI shore, and then see what rules apply to you!!!! There’s so many possibilities that one solid standard should just be in place.

haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

I agree 100%

In fact when I spoke to the local WI DNR he said that he would not find that an offense IF I was within WI waters (this is tricky on the river as well) but he said be careful cause the MN DNR would get you for sure! He also said it has been one of the few things that he, WI DNR and his counterparts in MN disagree upon. 1 regulation across the board for all parts of the boundry waters should be hammered out.

I guess I could use my old Iowa address and Drivers license to really circumvent the system……….naa to much work! LOL

BlackCat
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I got a wi non res license, but i also do some fly fishing, so it isnt that bad of a deal……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.