juggin’

• Gianni
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Went on jugging adventure 2001 this morning. Had some Wisconsonites and Minnesotans in the boat, so they had never even heard of it before! Had to introduce them to some southern style catfishing.

We fished the Iowa river and caught some beauties. Most of the fish we actually boated were in the 3-4 pound range, and we broke off 5 fish, one of which was able to keep a 20oz pop bottle underwater for 5 seconds at a time.

For anyone who has never been jugging for cats, watch Jaws the night before… it definately adds to the experience.

-Gianni

carp chaser
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

I went limb lining on the lower stretch of the Upper Iowa a month ago and got blanked. The water was still high back then and we couldn’t get to the place we wanted to go- (back waters of the Mississippi just south of the Iowa/MN border) We may take another trip in August or early September.

rivereyes
    Participant
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hey… gianni?

where is juggin legal in iowa? south of 80? I cant remember…. I have done it though… when I lived down there… and ditty poling… which I think carpchaser calls limblining….. plus I dun did the trot line thing too….

Gianni
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Trotlining is difficult for me, since they have to be checked at least every 24 hours. A regular job is such an inconvenience during open-water fishing season.

Jugging is legal statewide, so long as you fit into the “2 lines per person, maintain visual sight of tackle at all times” rules. With 3 guys in my boat, 2 jugs per person was plenty of action. Next time we’ve agreed to take at least 2 boats and con some more people into going.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.