SNAKE

• RAT13
    Participant

Went up to the Snake river last two weekends. Caught some fine channels but no numbers. Water was high so check the dnr site for levels if you go.

Just thought I’d join in because I know there are more than four people that go cat’n.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

You’re right! There’s more than 4 people that catfish around here but I think the bite slowed with this recent water level resurgence. Therefore, posts are down as well. You’ve got the right idea though………………jump in get some talkin’ goin’! I’ve never been cattin’ but I’d like to try it sometime. There are a number of guys around here that’d be great to learn from so jump in, stick around, and get ’em goin’ so I’ll be ready when it’s my turn!

To see how many others read the Catfish Forum, change your thread search to show the last 3 months and you’ll see a lot more!

vern
    Participant
    Richfield, MN

Hey Rat13! I’ve done a little fishing on the Snake near the mouth on the St. Croix. Fished some cats, but mostly fished smallies & walleyes. I haven’t really explored it much yet. How big were the cats you were catching? Can you float that river with a small boat or canoe? I used my waders. I usually fish the Minnesota near the twin cities & have been fishing the upper Mississippi recently. The cats are getting bigger up there I’ve noticed. You have to use the cutbait for the big boys. Thanks, Vern

RAT13
    Participant

Been getting a few 28″. I figure thats around 7-8lbs. There’s a canoe launch at the Cross lake dam that I see people use but as far as the float I don’t know if there’s rapids or what. I’ve been using waders as well. Kind of tough in the high water though. As far as bait, I start with smelt, then go to live suckers, then cut them up.

bigtime
    Participant
    North Carolina

Rat, I fish the snake every may and do well for channels. This spring on five trips we got @ 20 fish with 6 thirty six inch fish and one thirty seven. I,ve noticed that the size of the fish decline as the summer progresses, especially if the water is low. If the water is low you can walk out on the spill way and fish floats in front of the spillway to catch them too.

vern
    Participant
    Richfield, MN

Hey BigTime! Are you actually catching 36-37 inch fish on the Snake? Those are giant cats for a small, shallow river. They sound like Red River cats. 20 pounders! The biggest cats that I’ve caught in these smaller rivers are about 32″ and a little skinnier than the big water cats. . They must move back into the St. Croix when the water gets down. How is the Kettle for cats? Vern

bigtime
    Participant
    North Carolina

yeah, those fish run big in the spring. some of them had pretty nice girths too. I fish the snake for warm up beforw i go to winnipeg every year for channels, but after this spring on the snake I almost didn’t need to go to the red for big channels. the heaviest one we weighed out of the snake this spring was 27lbs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.