Catching crappie with ???

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I bought a bunch of Pinhead minnows fished them under slip floats and crappies loved them ! I also threw x-rap size 4 crappies inhaled them . Rapala Ultra Light cranks also caught . Last was the Tikka minnow ,caught them but hard to keep hooked . Amazing afternoon fishing these different lures and they all produced .

catmando
    wis

Number 5 jigging rap is my go 2.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I will have to try that No 5 . I have a bunch of Shiver minnows i have not tried yet . It makes it fun when you can catch them on various lures .

tim hurley

People tend to stick with the same thing when the bite is good, really thats the best time to try and build confidence in new stuff.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I watched a show the Linders did not to long ago and they were using x raps to catch crappies. They had a specific jerk cadence they were using. I now have a rod set up like they used but have not yet tried it out.

Gregg Gunter

I remember Bearcat writing about Pinhead minnows for ice-fishing. Sounds like I have to try some

Tinker
    Iron Range

People tend to stick with the same thing when the bite is good, really thats the best time to try and build confidence in new stuff.

Thats good advice. It’s what I have been trying the last few years.Of course alot depends on the fish.

CaptainMusky

I follow Pete Maina on FB, and he has been posting pictures of some nice crappies they have been catching on large jerkbaits! Had me very surprised, but they were almost as long as some of the fish they were catching LOL

Jimmy Jones

Smart people think this way.

duh queen

After struggling to produce with my go-to patterns(1/16oz leadheads with 2″tubes) the last few days, I broke out the icefishing box and used small slab-raps & jigging raps. I started with the jigging raps, which worked well, but I lost 50% of hookups. Frustrated, I switched to slabraps and worked them vertically over marked fish. WOW! what a difference. Whereas the tubes elicited very subtle nuanced bites, the slabraps were inhaled with savage strikes. I’ve had these things kicking ’round for years without really considering them for summers. Now they’re my go to 1st choice for finicky fish.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dee J curious what size slab rap and rod action you were using.

duh queen

Smallest size, about 1-1/4″ long. 7′ St. Croix Premier ulf2. If the bite is a tough one, I fish vertically over marked fish using my sonar as if I was ice fishing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

1/2 oz blade baits

Attachments:
    1. 696BFAA5-E828-4A45-B80F-178D77C17AC3.jpeg

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Smallest size, about 1-1/4″ long. 7′ St. Croix Premier ulf2. If the bite is a tough one, I fish vertically over marked fish using my sonar as if I was ice fishing.

Brand new Slab Raps still in the package , thanks for reminding me !

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

When I was fishing Truman Reservoir this spring their Crappie minnows are twice the size of Walleye minnows up here.

Deuces

Bullet sinkers and spinners w crawlers on shallow feeding flats.

Find the school, pick em apart w coordinating jig color w gulp minnow

Spoon Minnow

Tim and Don said it best:
    Don:
    It makes it fun when you can catch them on various lures.
    and TimH:

If I couldn’t catch fish on different lures – especially the ones I make and/or modify, I wouldn’t fish. I cast a slew of small soft plastics rigged on 1/16 oz or lighter jigheads that catch pretty much everything which includes different species and different size fish. Like all of you, I’m addicted to the strike followed by wondering what’s hooked!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.