Catch ‘n Cook Fishing Trip – Lake Suggestions?

• Nathan Martinez

Hello All,

I started fishing about 2 years ago and (as an Illinoisan) have become accustomed to catching bass.

However, I would like to take my nephew and family somewhere in or near Illinois that we can catch a variety of fish that are good for eating. Crappie would be great, but anything more than just bass would be an improvement.

Budget is a concern, so I’d prefer a place where you can fish from shore, but open to boat rental if price is right.

I don’t have a whole lot of knowledge or experience on locations like this as I mostly just fish local catch and release spots. Any suggestions for locations or sharing your story of a past trip you took with your family is greatly appreciated.

God Bless

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hello All,

I started fishing about 2 years ago and (as an Illinoisan) have become accustomed to catching bass.

However, I would like to take my nephew and family somewhere in or near Illinois that we can catch a variety of fish that are good for eating. Crappie would be great, but anything more than just bass would be an improvement.

Budget is a concern, so I’d prefer a place where you can fish from shore, but open to boat rental if price is right.

I don’t have a whole lot of knowledge or experience on locations like this as I mostly just fish local catch and release spots. Any suggestions for locations or sharing your story of a past trip you took with your family is greatly appreciated.

God Bless

If Lake Erie is “close enough” that would be my recommendation. You’ll catch all the walleye you could ever want.

picklerick
    Central WI

We used to catch a ton of crappies in April and May from shore on Lake Shelbyville. We camped at Lone Point Recreation area and Wolf Creek State Park. I’m not sure I recall going there after May, so not sure how it is after that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.